crostini 2 big

Honey, Figs and Ricotta Crostini

{Haz click aquí para ir a la versión en Español}

52 posts and almost 4 moths later, I’ve finally got round to make a recipe featuring both honey and figs. I actually have no idea on why I haven’t posted one before because this is a combo I really love. Anyway, my fig tree has finally started growing stuff, which means that there are a lot more recipes like this coming. And you know that this is part of the 3/1 seasonal challenge that Stephanie and me are hosting, so definitely there will be more figgy recipes coming.

Toasted multi-grain bread, smeared with creamy ricotta and topped with ripe figs and crunchy bits of hazelnuts. Add a drizzle of honey and you’re in heaven. It doesn’t get any healthier, easier or tastier than this!

Originally, I planned on making some kind of pancake or waffle for the breakfast part of the challenge. But you guys know that I’m a sucker for all thing toast, so I decided that toast was the way to go.

And what a great way, man.

I expected these crostini to be tastier, but I certainly didn’t expect them to have that much success at home. Everybody loved them. LOVED them with a capital L… You guys need to try these, they are so nice.

Let’s move on and talk about me now, we’ll get back to the crostini later, ok?

It was my first day of school today… but I don’t really have much to tell, like, I’ve only been there for an hour or so. First day is the easiest one, you know. I just had to attend a meeting, no lessons today… so wishing all days were like this 😉

Good thing is that I’m back to swimming lessons (yay, I missed swimming so much!) and now I can’t believe how darn tired I am. Man, it was exhausting and gruelling… and I really love swimming, but I got really tired today. Lack of training, I suppose. Anyway, I loved the session; it felt nice being back in the water and seeing my old swimming group again. I can’t wait for the next class!

On the bad side I forgot to take my towel with me, and… have you ever tried to put on super skinny jeans with wet legs?

Do. Not. Ever. Try.

I would have rather walking my way home on my undies, and I’m not kidding here. Putting the jeans one was more tiring that the swimming workout itself. Luckily, I had these crostini to make up for it.

They’re so good that they make up for pretty much everything.

They really do.

Honey, Figs and Ricotta Crostini

Serves 4
Prep time 5 minutes
Allergy Milk, Tree Nuts
Dietary Vegetarian
Meal type Appetizer, Breakfast, Snack
Occasion Barbecue, Casual Party, Formal Party
Toasted multi-grain bread, smeared with creamy ricotta and topped with ripe figs and crunchy bits of hazelnuts. Add a drizzle of honey and you're in heaven. It doesn't get any healthier, easier or tastier than this!

Ingredients

• 4 figs (sliced)
  • 4 medium slices multi grain bread (toasted)
  • 1/4 cup ricotta
  • a handful hazelnuts (chopped and toasted)
  • a drizzle honey

Directions

Toast the bread
Smear ricotta on the bread
Slice the figs and arrange them on top of the bread
Sprinkle with chopped haelnuts and drizzle with honey

Have a nice day!

Consuelo

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life September 17, 2013 at 7:51 pm

This is SO pretty. I didn’t know figs looked so good! This might be my favorite just because it matches the blog name:)

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I love how lovely figs look. Well I love everything figgy. And honey. Hence the name of the blog haha 😉 I’m glad you like it, thank you! x

• Reply Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl September 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I’m such a fan of your pictures, I always tell you that but I do love them! This looks delicious, I would love for this a afternoon snack.

So awesome to go back to swimming, I joined the Y here which is a gym of all sorts and my favorite time was just swimming in the evening, so peaceful and a great exercise!

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Awh, thank you so much! I always get so happy when people like my pictures :-)
      Yes indeed. Swimming is so relaxing, it always put me in a good mood! I hope you enjoy your swims too! And I’m glad you like these :-*

• Reply Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen September 17, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Congrats on the 52 posts in 4 months! Yay! And, I’m glad you posted a recipe with honey and figs to celebrate. Your crostini look incredibly scrumptious. School sounds like it will be exciting…so long as you can keep swimming! Thanks for sharing, girl!

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you so much, it means a lot! I think school will be exciting, but it’s so tiring already… and I’ve only been there for two days! 😉 Have a nice day, Stacy! x

• Reply marcie@flavorthemoments September 17, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Putting skinny jeans on with wet legs does sound like a workout! Lol. I’m so in love with figs, and I’m glad you got around to doing this at last. This looks incredible, and I would love to reach into the screen and grab one or two! Your photos are so stunning, Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 10:13 pm

It is a tiring one, indeed! Thank you so so much, Marcie! Your sweet comments make my day :-)

• Reply shannonroche September 17, 2013 at 8:50 pm

This morning I made a ricotta out of blanched almonds. This sounds like it would perfectly here. What a flavor combination!

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I’ve always wanted to try vegan ricotta, I’m sure it tastes wonderful that way too! Thank you, Shannon! x

• Reply Anne ~ Uni Homemaker September 17, 2013 at 10:23 pm

What a gorgeous looking appetizer. I love fig and ricotta on crostini so I know I’ll love this. Beautiful photos too Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Thank you so much, Anne! I hope you try it and love it :-)

• Reply Monet September 18, 2013 at 12:53 am

Smile. You picked the name of your blog well. This is the perfect combo. This looks like such a lovely appetizer. I wish I had a piece in front of me now!

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Thank you so much, Monet! You’re so sweet :-*

• Reply Kammie September 18, 2013 at 6:56 am

Figs creep me out for some reason but my mom loves them for some reason. I guess the same reasons as everyone else. I have never actually tasted a fig but the look of it just creeps me out and away from even trying them. I like ricotta though 😛

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Really? That’s so funny because I find them so cute! It’s a matter of preference I guess 😉 They taste superb, even if they look a bit odd! x

• Reply Stephanie @ Eat My Tortes September 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm

beautiful! so simple and delicious! now i’m nervous about mine going up later! oh, and I used to be on swim team too, and trying to get wet legs into jeans is the worst thing everrrrrrrrr :/

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Yes, it’s so so terrible! (I have skipped my swimming lesson today because I forgot my towel again ooops I have to join the lesson on Friday!). I’m so so glad you like it. I can’t wait to see whcih recipe you come up with :-)

• Reply Joanne September 18, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I think my mom’s fig tree has given up this year, tragically…but if I can score some figs from a street vendor these crostinis are so happening! My favorite things all one one adorable toast.

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Nooo, that’s terrible :(( I hope you get to try these and love them! x

• Reply Abbie September 18, 2013 at 3:03 pm

You have your own fig tree? That is so awesome!
    These crostini look delicious. I’ve never tried fresh figs before.

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 6:00 pm

It is indeed! 😉 Aw, fresh figs are amazing, I hope you get to try them soon! x

• Reply martaestevezansede September 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

¡Me encantan estas tostadas, Consuelo!!! ¡Menuda combinación de sabores!! Y los higos se ven taaan perfectos en las fotos!!!

Besitos,
    Marta (“Sweet & Home la Vida es Dulce”)

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Muchísimas gracias, Marta 😀

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven September 18, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I absolutely adore this recipe! I’ve been especially enjoying figs lately. Also your pictures are just absolutely stunning!

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Thank you so so much, Davida! 😉

• Reply Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes September 18, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I love honey and figs together…such a great combo. Love it!

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Thank you so much, Ashley! :-)

• Reply Nik@ABrownTable September 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Figs are one of my favorite fruits and I love the way you have styled the photos. Great job!

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm

They’re one of mine too! Thank you so much, I’m glad you like them :-)

• Reply cocido de sopa September 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I don’t know whether I should leave a comment in English or in Spanish. I’ll have a go in Spanish, my native language :)

Tu receta me parece una forma muy sabrosa de disfrutar de higos, esos que tienen a rebosar nuestras higueras, tanto, que ni sabemos qué hacer con ellos. Me llama mucho la atención de color rojizo de su carne, porque los que yo conozco de por aquí son de carne blanca, pero seguro que son igual de dulces.

Tenéis un blog muy bonito y elegante. Muchas gracias por vuestra visita.

Saludos.

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 8:51 pm

¡Hola! Nosotras somos españolas, así que puedes dejar tu comentario en el idioma que quieras, lo que importa es el detalle 😉
      ¿De carne blanca? Pues esos no los he visto yo nunca, pero me encantaría probarlos. Nos elegra un montón que te guste la receta y el blog. ¡uchísimas gracias por pasarte!
      Un abrazo 😀

• Reply Ashley September 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm

These sound delicious Consuelo with the honey and ricotta! I don’t use fresh figs often at all – but you may push me to change that with this type of recipe!

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 8:51 pm

You should, because they make really lovely recipes 😉 I’ glad you like it! Have a nice day! x

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl September 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Putting on skinny jeans with wet skin sounds *traumatizing*… But I love that you have a honey & figs recipe, they’re not just a great blog name but a wonderful tasting combo that I haven’t tried for ages. I love the pairing with hazelnut and ricotta too, mmm!

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 11:10 pm

It is indeed ;( It is truly a combo worth trying, one of my favorite ever, I’d say 😉 Thanks, Aimee!

• Reply Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking September 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm

How fitting for your blog, Consuelo! These crostini look perfectly delicious. I love those sweet, salty, earthy flavors!

• Reply Consuelo September 18, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Thank you so much, Georgia! I’m glad you like them :~~)

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen September 19, 2013 at 1:13 am

Those are some gorgeous looking figs! My daughter loves swimming too and is on her school team. I always remember when she was a baby and I bathed her in one of those little plastic tubs, she would try to turn her head and put her face in the water!

• Reply Consuelo September 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Aw how funny! Swimming is so nice and good for the body and mind, I’m glad your girl likes it! And thanks, Christin! x

• Reply blahnikbaker September 19, 2013 at 2:23 am

I’ve never had figs (shamefully!) but I need to soon. These crostini look so delicious and I can’t wait for more fig inspirations :)

• Reply Consuelo September 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm

You totally have to try them, they taste so great! 😉 Thanks!

• Reply Irina @ wandercrush September 19, 2013 at 3:47 am

Beautiful! Your blog’s namesake 😉 Figs are really best enjoyed like this. I’ve tried messing around with them in the oven or grill, but in the end I always come back to the humble crostini. Lovely recipe, Consuelo! Thanks for this.

• Reply Consuelo September 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Sometimes simple is best, isn’t it? I’m so happy you like them. Thanks a lot, Irina! x

• Reply Trisha September 19, 2013 at 11:05 am

looks delicious! I adore figs x

• Reply Consuelo September 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm

So do I, thank you Trisha! x

• Reply shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

“Putting the jeans one was more tiring that the swimming workout itself” so sorry but thats just too funny Consuelo!
    This crostini look delectable!

• Reply Consuelo September 19, 2013 at 4:33 pm

It looks now, but at the time it was a terrible experience ;–) Thanks, Shashi! x

• Reply Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens September 19, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Love this post! 1) I am totally jealous you have a fig tree! 2) Skinny jeans and wet legs are something nobody should have to endure! 3) I wish I was eating this recipe at this very moment! I can’t pin it (or nab the ingredients at the grocery store!) fast enough …

• Reply Consuelo September 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Thank you, Shelley!
      1) I know right, I love my fig tree so so much.
      2) So. Agree. Here.
      3) Hahah I hope you do love it, dear!

• Reply Black Cat September 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm

These look delicious! My other half doesn’t like figs (!!!) while I love them – this looks like the perfect way to enjoy them by myself – would be a delicious lunch! Can’t wait to try!

• Reply Consuelo September 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm

More figs for you that way 😉 I’m glad you like it, thanks! x

• Reply Danguole September 24, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Oh goodness, I have been there with the wet legs and the skinny jeans. If only it weren’t cold outside, I might have ran to the car in my undies, definitely.

Those figs look incredible! I’m a sucker for bright color.

• Reply Consuelo September 24, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I’d totally have run to the car in my undies if I had had one but I get to the swimming pool by foot and it’s really far from my house, so no way I can walk on my undies 😉
      Thanks a lot 😀

• Reply 3/1 seasonal challenge october ingredient + september challenge roundup | Everyday Feasts October 6, 2013 at 9:41 pm

[…] Consuelo: honey, figs, and ricotta crostini, and warm goat cheese, figs, and caramelized onion salad […]

• Reply 10 Reasons Why I Love Figs | Luxe & Honey December 8, 2014 at 3:30 am

[…] to Right} Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Middle Image, Image 5, Image […]

• Reply Small-Batch Fig Honey Jam - Flavor the Moments August 27, 2015 at 1:00 pm

[…] Honey, Figs, and Ricotta Crostini by Honey & Figs […]

• Reply Cranberry and Goat Cheese Crostini - Two Healthy Kitchens November 19, 2015 at 3:48 pm

[…] Honey, Figs and Ricotta Crostini from Consuela at Honey and Figs […]