Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice-Cream

I’m not one to give up ice-cream just because summer is over. Like, I’d be able to have it every single day, all year round, it doesn’t matter whether it rains or snows: this girls loves her a good ice cream anytime.

Don’t you just love this time of the year? It’s cool because it’s hot enough to go on enjoying loads of your favourite frozen treats, but as it’s also september, you can start baking with apples, pumpkin and lots, lots of spice. Actually, I’ve been both churning homemade ice-cream and making a super fall-ish delicious dessert that you can’t miss today. I’m so excited about sharing that post with you all. It was the best thing I’ve ever baked, like, oh man, it was seriously amazing.
Oh, we still get to enjoy all those late-harvested summer produce as well… my garden is overflowing with lots of tomatoes, eggplants, onions and the like. Who’s to complain here?
Plus the weather is fantastic too: it’s warm enough to wear shorts and vests (my absolutely favourite, I really like how comfy shorts are!) but not so hot that you can’t go running outdoors without melting.
And this ice-cream? Well, it’s got the best of both worlds. It’s summery and refreshing, because, well, it’s ice-cream after all. But it’s also quite of fall-ish, because everybody knows that you must top apple pie with a scoop (or three!) of vanilla ice-cream.
Oh, and may I mention that this is the best ice-cream that I’ve ever make?
I knew that I couldn’t let summer go before I tried making egg-based ice-cream at least once.
I thought it would be super difficult and stuff but it was the easiest thing ever. And the bit of extra effort really pays off, because this is one of the creamiest ice-cream you’ll ever taste, and I didn’t even have to use  my ice-cream maker! (which was too busy churning this brownie batter fro-yo)

I adapted this recipe from A Family Feast:

4 egg yolks, room temperature
1 cup milk (I used semi-skimmed because it was what I had on hand)
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup light cream
3/4 cup sugar
seeds from 2 vanilla pods

Heat milk, creams and sugar until it’s dissolved. Stir often, so the mixture doesn’t burn and do not let it boil.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and slowly drizzle the hot milk mixture. Do not stop stirring, it prevents the egg yolks from cooking.
Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and keep warming and stirring on medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. If you have a thermometer, it should read 170F.
Let the mixture cool and churn it according to your ice-cream maker instructions. If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, it’s fine, it’ll turn out super creamy anyways. Just freeze and stir every 45 minutes or so at least 3 times.

I hope you give this a try, because it is indeed the best ice-cream you’ll ever have!

And if you’re still craving summer frozen treats, don’t forget to check out these:
Skinny Oreo Cheesecake Popsicles. Wonderful flavour, but none of the guilt.
Cherry-Chocolate Frozen Yogurt with Brownie Chunks. Would you believe this stuff is actually healthy?
Have a lovely day,
Consuelo x

• Reply Monet September 5, 2013 at 1:08 am

This looks heavenly! I have yet to make my own ice cream but your post has just convinced me to make the effort. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 1:13 am

Homemade ice-cream is actually so easy, and it tastes much better than storebough! I hope you give it a try and it turns out wonderfully for you!
      Thanks a lot, I did have a lovely Wednesday! Same to you, dear! x

• Reply Shannon September 5, 2013 at 1:48 am

I am a full proponent of eating ice cream year round. I have eaten ice cream in a bath tub of the hottest water because it was too cold to enjoy it any other way.
    There are also so many great fall & winter flavors, that deserve a shot at being frozen desserts!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Eating ice-cream while having a bath must be the best thing ever, what a lovely idea! c:

• Reply Allie | Baking a Moment September 5, 2013 at 2:15 am

I did not make nearly enough ice cream this summer, but I’m so glad you’ve convinced me that it’s not too late! Apple pie & homemade vanilla ice cream is completely necessary. 😉

• Reply Laura Fideuà September 5, 2013 at 8:10 am

El helado de vainilla es un clásico en casa, porque es el favorito con diferencia de mi chico :)

En mi opinión, los helados que llevan crema de huevo como este son los más delicaditos, por eso de estar removiendo constantemente para evitar que hiervan.
    Pero lo cierto es que merece y mucho la pena el ponerse a hacerlo, ¡porque el resultado es de lujo!

Un saludo,
    Laura (Dieta para glotones)

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 10:26 pm

¡Vaya que si merece la pena, porque salen de ricos! :-*

• Reply Anne ~ Uni Homemaker September 5, 2013 at 8:11 am

I love vanilla beans in my ice cream so this homemade one must be amazing! Thanks for sharing Consuelo! :)

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 10:27 pm

The vanilla taste is so strong when using beans… I love it! I’m so happy you like it :-)

• Reply kumars kitchen September 5, 2013 at 9:19 am

nothing beats an old silky creamy vanilla ice cream,so much bliss in every spoonful…..your recipe is easy to follow and will give delicious results….beautiful food clicks :-)

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Absolutely! Sometimes, plain things are the tastiest! Thanks a million! x

• Reply Marta Lopez September 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Me encantaa el helado de vainilla!!

Yo opino igual que vosotras, no voy a dejar de hacer helados solo porque se haya terminado el verano, y menos aún ahora que he descubierto la estupenda heladera que casi casi los hace solos 😀

Un abrazo!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 10:29 pm

¡Menudo invento es la heladera! La nuestra siempre está funcionando 😉
      Un besazo x

• Reply Josefine September 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Yay! Ice cream all year round 😀 Great idea with frozen treats in September! This vanilla ice cream looks amazing!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Ice cream all year round > everything else 😉
      Thanks, Josefine 😀

• Reply Mary Frances McNellis September 5, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I’m an ice cream all year round kind of gal, too:) I like this version a lot! For some reason, my mind is telling me, serve it on her skinny cinnamon rolls! Now that sounds amazing!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Cinnamon rolls + ice-cream??? That’s so genius, how did I not think of that before? I must try iy 😉

• Reply Erin | The Law Students Wife September 5, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Ice cream is DEFINITELY year round food! Bring it on.

• Reply El Cajón de las Especias September 5, 2013 at 9:16 pm

No hay nada como el helado casero! Nosotras hicimos hace poco y nos quedamos encantadas con la experiencia!!

Sentimos la ‘desaparición’ pero ya estamos aquí de nuevo 😀

Saludos ‘especiados’

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 5, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Ni punto de comparación con el comprado, ¿verdad? 😉
      Estamos encantadas de que hayáis vuelto,
      Un abrazo c:

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen September 6, 2013 at 2:55 am

Oh sistah…I lllooovvveee vanilla ice cream. So much I wanna marry it. Wish I were there – I’d help you get rid of it. Hahaha! And yes…September is my favorite time of year too!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I want to marry it too! I wish I could get you rid of all your cajun dishes, girl! They always look amazing! x

• Reply Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl September 6, 2013 at 7:07 am

I agree that ice cream is definitely a year round treat! This classic vanilla looks amazing!

• Reply Irina @ wandercrush September 6, 2013 at 7:47 am

I love those old fashioned spoons you have to go along with the old fashioned vanilla ice cream 😉 And indeed, it’s always good—all the time!

• Reply Tere Marinval September 6, 2013 at 10:29 am

yo soy de las tuyas consuelo, mientras me apetece los como y no veas como me pongo..este de vainilla se ve delicioso y te quedo super cremosito, mmm
    un besico

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 6, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Si es que son geniales todo el año 😉 ¡Muchas gracias!
      Un besazo 😀

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl September 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I bought my ice cream maker around this time of year so I certainly wasn’t going to let the weather dictate when I was going to make ice cream! And as you say, it’s perfect served with warm apple pie any time of year. I love good quality, homemade vanilla ice cream, can’t beat it and yours looks gorgeous :-)

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm

It is definitely amazing anytime, I don’t care what’s the weather is like! 😉
      Thank you so much, Aimee! And have a lovely weekend xx

• Reply Ashley September 6, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Ice cream is fantastic anytime of the year! Plus, homemade ice cream is the best with apple pie : ) This looks delicious Consuelo! Have a wonderful weekend!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 6, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Yes, I can’t wait to try it with apple pie! But I always end up eating all the ice-cream before I get the pie out the oven :((
      You too have a nice one :-)

• Reply Joanne September 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I’m always happy with “plain” vanilla ice cream. It’s my favorite!

• Reply Shashi Charles September 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Oh my! I so do love Vanilla Ice cream – and yours looks mouthwatering! I wish I could eat a couple bowlfuls but, unfortunately, I am lactose intolerant so have to settle for frozen yogurt :(
    I ADORE fro yo in the winter – I usually have it with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate or tea so the cold is balanced out 😉 The best part about fro yo in winter is that most stores have them on sale!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 6, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I’m sorry to hear that :(( Although frozen yogurt is amazing too! I actually like it better than ice-cream… the tang is so good!
    Hot coffee + frozen yogurt?? HEAVEN <3
    Have a nice weekend, Shashi! x

• Reply Monica September 6, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I am now craving vanilla ice cream (maybe with some warm chocolate cake) after stopping by here and seeing this. I started making homemade ice cream last summer and got hooked. Vanilla is one we make often and we adore it. I have to try using 2 vanilla beans instead of one! Yum! : )

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 8, 2013 at 8:47 am

Vanilla ice-cream + chocolate cake?? I’m drooling over here right now! I’m so happy you like it! And yes, two vanilla beans can make a huge difference 😉

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen September 7, 2013 at 12:51 am

Yes! Apple Pie must be topped with vanilla ice cream. Looks wonderful Consuelo! Beautiful pictures. Love the pretty blue colors.

• Reply Elizabeth -SugarHero! September 7, 2013 at 8:22 am

I’m with you–ice cream is a year-round food! (It is practically one of the food groups, after all!) Vanilla is such a classic, and your version looks wonderful!

• Reply Consuelo Morcillo September 8, 2013 at 8:48 am

It’s absolutely a food group on itself, isn’t it? 😉 Thanks, Elizabeth! x

• Reply Samina | The Cupcake Confession September 8, 2013 at 5:11 am

Warm apple pie and vanilla ice cream are a match made in heaven! But vanilla ice cream by itself? I could eat tubs of it and still not be satisfied! Loveeeeee your recipe! :) :)

• Reply Martha@A Family Feast September 12, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Thanks so much for the link back! Your version looks delicious!