soup 1 big 2000

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup

{Haz click aquí para ir a la versión en Español}

Welcome to the new Honey & Figs blog! I finally got my own domain name and move blog thanks to the help from Deby at Moms Make Money. I’m so so grateful for everything she’s made for me. Go check her wonderful services here!

The redesign is not finished yet. I’ve still got lots of stuff to sort out, so excuse me if both the old domain and this one look a bit weird for the following days. Oh, and if you followed my old blog via Bloglovin or Feedly, would you mind following this one now?

I really hope you guys like the new look. You can let me know what you think in a comment below, that’d be lovely and much appreciated!

Now let’s move to the soup. Best soup ever, to be exact.

You know how I always have a hard time trying to decide whether I like summer or fall foods better. On the summer side you have ice-cream, fro-yo, cold drinks and lots of fresh produce. And then, on the fall side there’s apples, caramel, cinnamon and spice and warm cozy soups… I really don’t know which side I’m in. But this soup? Oh boy, this is truly the best of both worlds: fresh summer tomatoes, peppers and garlic roasted to perfection and then simmered to get a comforting soup which warms the soul and gets you in the mood for oversized sweater weather while reminding you of summer. It doesn’t get any better than this!

Even though it’s not exactly the quickest soup ever, it reheats wonderfully and it’s awesome too when it’s cold. That’s great since I’ll be back to school tomorrow (!!!) and I won’t get round to make as much soup as I’d like. I’d better be preparing a make-ahead recipe round-up, because I’m sure I’m so going to need it! This school year is going to be so so weary, being my last year as a high school student. And I’ll also have to keep up with this blog, because you guys know I don’t plan to give it up; as well as attend swimming lessons, train for a half-marathon (I’m so excited about it!!!) and improve my photography since I plan on getting a proper camera soon (yay!). It’s going to be quite hectic, but I think I’ll be able to cope with it all, because things don’t seem to be so hard when you truly like what you’re doing.

Oh God, I really hope it isn’t too hard.

I can always have soup if things get rough. This one is so comforting that I think it’ll get me through everything… gruelling school year included.

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup

Serves 4-6
Dietary Diabetic, Vegan, Vegetarian
Meal type Lunch, Side Dish, Soup
Misc Pre-preparable, Serve Cold, Serve Hot
Make the most of late summer produce with this roasted pepper and tomato soup. Thick, comforting and delicious!

Ingredients

soup

• 12 roma tomatoes
  • 6 red bell peppers
  • 1 head garlic (roasted)
  • 1 onion (julienned)
  • 4-5 leaves fresh basil (finely chopped)
  • drizzle balsamic vinegar
  • drizzle extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 dash hot sauce
  • dash salt (to taste)

to serve

• greek yogurt, goat cheese, sour cream ((optional))
  • crusty bread ((optional))

soups

• 3-4 cups vegetable broth (depending on how thick you like the soup, I went for 3 cups)

Directions

Halve the tomatoes and quart them.
Cut the pepper into chunks. Make them as big as the tomato chunks so they roast at the same time.
Arrange the tomatoes and peppers in two baking trays (you might need 3 trays if yours aren't too big). You can roast the garlic at the same time too.
Drizzle them with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and add salt to taste.
Turn your oven's broiler on and broil both the peppers and tomatoes at 230ºC until they look charred (this should take about 30-35 minutes)
If you don't want peels in the soup, you should wait for the peppers and tomatoes to cool and then peel them off. I skipped this step because I'm not bothered by peels in the soup.
Heat some olive oil in a saucepan and when it's warm, add the onion and fry until fragant.
Add the tomato and pepper chunks, as well as the roasted garlic (you have to squeeze it), the basil and the vegetable broth.
Simmer for 5-10 minutes so the flavors meld together.
10.
Add a dash of hot sauce and more salt if needed.
11.
Pure with an inmersion blender until desired consistency is reached.
12.
Serve with crusty bread or grilled cheese.

Note

You can see how to roast a garlic here.

Now, tell me. Which is your favorite kind of comforting food to have when life gets stressful? Do you foresee a hectic year for you?

I hope you’ve all had a wonderful weekend!

Consuelo x

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl September 15, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Wow, sounds like you’re going to have a lot on your plate (pardon the pun…) but you can do it! Maybe just focus on speedy and make-ahead meals? Everyone loves those sorts of recipes anyway. I *love* the new look of your blog and the look of this soup :-) I would love it with cheese and bread, mmmm..

• Reply Consuelo September 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I love make-ahead meals too! But I’m going to miss cooking so much ;–) Thank you so much, Aimee! Have a lovely weekend x

• Reply Stephanie @ Eat My Tortes September 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Consuelo your new blog looks lovely :) I hope you have an amazing year at school, and don’t forget to just enjoy it! Love this soup–it’s still not cold enough here, but as soon as it is I’ll be making this :)

• Reply Consuelo September 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Thank you so so so much, Stephanie! I hope you love it if you give it a try! :-)

• Reply Amy (Savory Moments) September 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm

This is one of my favorite soups and yours looks so yummy and comforting!

• Reply Consuelo September 15, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Thank you Amy! x

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life September 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Way to go ahead and get the website redesigned! It looks good and I bet was fun to play around with:) I love how red this soup is; looks like the perfect meal for busy days!

• Reply Consuelo September 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Yes, it was so fun to customize! I’m glad you like it, and yeah I have my fridge stocked with it, since it’ll be perfect for when I have to attend to school in the mornings and I don’t get round to cook 😉

• Reply shannonroche September 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm

The update looks beautiful. As does the soup! I am so happy it’s finally a little cooler out. Pasta and soups are such comforting foods.

• Reply Consuelo September 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Thank you so so much, Shannon! Yes, they are indeed 😉

• Reply Amy @ Swiss Miss in the Kitchen September 15, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I see we are on the same page with soups :) This soup looks amazing Consuelo!! So colorful! I’m sure it tasted divine :) Great recipe dear!
    xox Amy

• Reply Consuelo September 15, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Aren’t they awesome?? I’m so glad you like it, Amy. Thanks a lot :-)

• Reply Josefine September 16, 2013 at 2:20 am

Wow – I really like your new website 😀 It’s gorgeous!
    And this soup sounds amazing! Perfect for fall I guess 😉

• Reply Consuelo September 16, 2013 at 8:38 am

Thank you so so much! I hope you’ve had a wonderful trip, by the way! x

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen September 16, 2013 at 2:49 am

Love love love the website re-design! So excited for you! I thought you’d be busy with school Consuelo – you are one busy girl! Love this recipe girlie – I must try it! I just subscribed – so I can’t wait to see the new posts on the new site! Congrats!

• Reply Consuelo September 16, 2013 at 8:40 am

Thank you so much, Kristi!
      Nah, I won’t be back to classes until later today, so I managed to fix some stuff during the weekend. It’s now that I’m not going to have this much time 😉 Thanks again, it means so much! x

• Reply BruCrew Life September 16, 2013 at 4:49 am

Mmmm, this soup looks amazing! Perfect for nice cold Fall days! 😉

• Reply Consuelo September 16, 2013 at 8:40 am

Thank you so much, I’m glad you like it! x

• Reply Anne ~ Uni Homemaker September 16, 2013 at 8:20 am

I absolutely love soup! I can eat it any season of the year…. even on scorching hot days. :) This looks amazing and Consuelo! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Consuelo September 16, 2013 at 8:41 am

I love soup too and I could have it during summer as well… but there are little things better than having warm soup on cold fall days! :-) Thank you, Anne! x

• Reply Aslhey September 16, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Yay for soup! I love soup season … although really I make it anytime of the year : ) But now I don’t seem so crazy! This is going on my list to try – it sounds delicious! And good luck with juggling everything – you’re right that it doesn’t seem so bad when you love what you’re doing.

• Reply Consuelo September 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Soup is always good, it doesn’t matter what’s the weather’s like! Thank you so much, Ashley! :-*

• Reply Meghan @ Spoonful of Flour September 16, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Love the new look of your blog! And this soup- I love how it is so quick and easy to make, perfect for fall!

• Reply Consuelo September 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Thank you so so much, Meghan! x

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven September 16, 2013 at 10:10 pm

My co-workers and I are ogling over this recipe! Looks delish! I’m a huge soup lover.

• Reply Consuelo September 16, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Thank you so much! I’m so happy you like it :-)

• Reply Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl September 16, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I feel like you are my soup soulmate because I was looking for something JUST LIKE THIS! Thank you!

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Soup soulmate? That sounds so cute, haha! Thank you :-)

• Reply Shashi @ http://runninsrilakan.com September 17, 2013 at 12:27 am

Conselo – lurrve te new website!and good gosh – lurrrve this soup! The roasted tomatoes must have added so many layers of flavors!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilakan.com

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Yes, roasting them added a lovely flavor :-) And thanks a lot!

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen September 17, 2013 at 2:11 am

Your new blog looks beautiful Consuelo and so does your soup!

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Thank you so much Christin! x

• Reply Allie September 17, 2013 at 3:24 am

Congrats on the new blog design! It looks beautiful! And so does this soup. I’m looking forward to making lots of soup lunches, now that the weather is cooling off. This one will top my list! Can’t wait to taste! 😉

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Soups are definitely amazing for colder weather! Thanks a lot, I hope you love it! :-*

• Reply Deb@CookingOnTheFrontBurner September 17, 2013 at 5:19 am

Your soup looks amazing!!! Pinned for future use :-)

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Thank you so so much, Deb! x

• Reply thecupcakeconfession September 17, 2013 at 10:42 am

OMG OMG OMG!!! I am in loveeeeee with your new blog design!!!! The font is just soooooo coool!!!! and the colours and everything!!!! ^_^ And this soup!!!!!!!!! Whoa!!!!!! I could sweep all of it with that delicious bread! Yummmmm!!

• Reply Consuelo September 17, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Thank you so much, you’re so lovely! I’m really glad you like it :-*

• Reply Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens September 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Welcome to your new bloggy home! I’m lovin’ the new digs – looks just fabulous! So exciting – I’m really thrilled for you! Also thrilling? This soup!!! This is just all kinds of wonderful yumminess, and gorgeous, too! Another great post – what a perfect way to launch your “new” site! Congrats! 😀

• Reply Consuelo September 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Thank you so much Shelley, your comments make my day :-*

• Reply Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor September 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I love the sound of roasted red peppers in tomato soup. I’m going to make this soon!

• Reply Consuelo September 20, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I hope you love it, Ashley! x

• Reply Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner September 20, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I love the new look!
    I’m not usually one for tomato soups but this one makes me want to change my mind! Love your idea of adding red peppers. :)

• Reply Consuelo September 20, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Thank you Tina! The addition of red peppers does make a great soup 😉

• Reply EverydayMaven September 24, 2013 at 2:03 am

Beautiful! Such a simple soup but loaded with flavor!

• Reply Consuelo September 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Thank you, Alyssa! x

• Reply Feed Me: Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup | February 5, 2014 at 2:23 pm

[…] some form of tomato soup in combination with grilled cheese. So my latest dance with this devil (this recipe) was never meant to reach this blog; just bypass the photo shoot and straight to the mouth. […]