Fried Egg and Serrano Ham Breakfast Sandwich

20th October 2013

{Nota en Español}

I love my sandwiches so full of ingredients that I can barely fit them into my mouth, let alone eating them without making a complete mess. The more disastrous, the merrier.

This breakfast sandwich really fits the bill. Stuffed with a fried egg, serrano ham, asparagus, tomato and avocado, it is seriously one of the best sammies you’ll ever try and I’m not kidding here. I never joke when it comes to sandwiches. Or food. And it is obviously very difficult to eat, so bonus points for that. Because really, who wants a sad-looking, dull sandwich in which you can taste the bread alone? I’ll tell you: n o b o d y.

Who would choose a ham + bread sammie when you could have this deliciousness instead? Not me for sure. When it comes to sandwiches, it’s all or nothing. I actually do spend more time making sandwiches than dessert, whoops. Although this one isn’t on the time consuming side… Assuming that you know how to fry an egg without burning your finger, which I don’t… That’s why I get mum to do the “dirty” bussiness aka egg frying and dish-washing.

Get your mums, dads, siblings, boyfriends or girlfriends to do the job for you and you’ll have this sandwich ready in mere minutes. Or you can always try your luck at frying eggs, but please, beware of the hot oil (((that stuff is so painful))). Who knows, you might be an egg-master (if you are, please, ship your egg-cooking talent to me, because I’m a big fan of eggs and I never seem to be able to cook them properly).

Jokes aside, please, make this sandwich, I promise you won’t regret it.

And hey, do you know waht else is a joke here? The white balance I set for these pics… I couldn’t get the sandwich to look as delish as it tasted because of the light. Seriously, white balance is going to be the death of me. Looks like I’ll have to keep on making this sandwich in order to get a perfect picture. And it’s not that I want to eat this baby again, it’s only because it’s good for the blog, duh.

C’mon, guys. If you’re skilled at frying eggs, don’t waste your talent on not making this. And if you’re not, you can always get my mum to fry them for you. Mum’s fried eggs are awesome, how I wish I had inherited her talent!

Fried Egg and Serrano Ham Breakfast Sandwiches

Serves 1
Prep time 10 minutes
Allergy Egg
Meal type Breakfast, Lunch
Misc Serve Cold

Ingredients

• 2 slices of multigrain bread (use your favorite)
  • 1/4 avocado (sliced)
  • 2-3 slices serrano ham
  • 3-4 asparagus
  • 1/2 tomato
  • 1 egg
  • extra-virgin olive oil (to toast bread and for pan)

Directions

Heat a little bit of extra virgin olive oil in your pan and when it's hot, fry serrano ham and asparagus until done to your preference.
Fry your egg the way you like it better. No point in asking me for advice, I'm helpless at egg-making.
Toast bread with some olive oil of a dab of butter and arrange ingredients on top.

On a side note, let me remind you that the wifi isn’t working properly in this new house these days, so I’m forced to use my mobile phone to see what you’re all making lately. So, it’d be nice if you guys followed me on Pinterest, because it’s what I’ll be using the most these days. Besides my textbooks, that’s it. I have a deathly biochemistry exam coming up next week *cries*. Exams and eggs which are impossible to fry properly are going to kill me. And slow wifi, I loathe that too. And white balance settings which don’t work as they should, they drive me crazy!

Now, let’s be all whiny together: what gets on your nerves? Is it homework? Slow wifi? Burned food that you were meant to photograph? Maybe members of your household eating your baking supplies? Tell me, please. I’d love to hear it!

By the way, Mum is leaving the blog to start her own. I would link you to it, but one: she forgot her own url and two: she’ll write in Spanish so I don’t know if you’re interested. From now on, due to the lack of time, I will be only writing in English.

Happy Sunday,

Consuelo.

47 thoughts on “Fried Egg and Serrano Ham Breakfast Sandwich

1. Consuelo Post author

It’s still quite hot here, but it gets so so cold where I live when it’s November. Ugh, it’s going to be terrible! Thanks :)

1. Stephanie @ Everyday Feasts

Yum, this looks delicious! Things that are currently getting on my nerves: being sick (not fun!) and not having enough time to do all of the things you really want to do because there are only 24 hours in a day. Good luck with the move and your exam! x

2. Aimee / Wallflower Girl

I keep forgetting that you have to write 2 posts for both languages, and once again I’m amazed how you find the time for these things! Also, this looks like the most delicious sandwich I have ever seen. One of my favourite breakfasts is parma-wrapped asparagus with a poached egg so this just sounds like the same thing but on a new level – yum! And great photos, again!

3. Laurel y Menta

Ay Consuelo, cuántas noticias… Lo primero, felicidades a tu mami por su nuevo blog (esperamos impacientes el link…). A ver si nos vamos arreglando con el inglés: hace mucho que no practicamos, ja, ja… Y las traducciones automáticas son horrendaaaaas!!!
    Preguntas qué nos pone de los nervios: ufff, taaaaaantas cosas. Una de ellas, estar el 20 de octubre a 30 grados en el norte de España: tu crees que es normal? Nos van a tener que ingresar en alguna parte…
    El sandwich, ma-ra-vi-llo-so, nos encanta, ya nos buscaremos algún-alguna incaut@ que nos fría huevos, ja, ja…
    Suerte en el exámen y nos seguimos leyendo.
    Besitos.

1. Consuelo Post author

Dice que muchas gracias, a ver si se lo puedo poner en funcionamiento pronto.
      ¿30 grados? Qué calor, por Dios… Aquí también hace bastante, pero esto es el centro, así que es normal.
      Muchísimas gracias, un beso :)

4. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {tootj} life

Hehe, my siblings don’t ask if they want them to make my sandwiches anymore – they’re too complicated! I don’t think I can send you any egg cooking skills:) but I will come eat this with you! It looks delicious! The asparagus and avocado combo looks (oh my goodness)good!

5. Monica

Okay…multigrain bread is my favorite right next to english muffins and I have a ham & egg sandwich for breakfast a few times a week. Your sandwich takes it to a whole other level and I just adore it!

6. Monet

Gorgeous. I love my sandwiches with heaps piled on so this is a clear winner in my book! The asparagus makes it extra special! Then again, you can never go wrong with a fried egg! Thank you for sharing!

7. Covadonga

Consuelo, seguiremos atentas a tus recetas, eso ni lo dudes, y nos apañaremos con el inglés, eso sí tengo que decir que me encanta que Maria José te hayas decidido a independizarte con tu propio blog, aquí me tienes a la espera de la comunicación oficial :)
    Besinos para ambas

8. MoonLight @ AWorldInMyOven

Haha, you mean you could’ve made this look even better with different lighting? I’m looking forward to that! When I make sandwiches they always turn out really simple, so this looks like a 5-star restaurant meal to me.. I’d love to have one of those right now!

1. Consuelo Post author

Luckily I’m not lazy, because I don’t think I can get my brothers to make it for me lol Thanks! x

9. Yeste Lima

Ni pienses siquiera que te vamos a abandonar, si tenemos que tirar de traductor, tiraremos, qué le vamos a hacer, Consuelo, tú no te preocupes por eso.

Pero la verdad es que nos alegramos o yo, me alegro de que tu mami tenga su propio blog, creo que fui una de las primeras en aconsejarle porque creo firmemente que puede aportarnos mucho, sé que le gusta escribir y sé también que me gustará lo que escriba, y también sé que le va a ir muy bien y tendrá amigos incondicionales que la seguiremos.

Espero pronto el enlace. Felicítala de mi parte.

Muchos besos Consuelo.

1. Consuelo Post author

Muchísimas gracias, la verdad es que le hace mucha mucha ilusión que vayáis a leerla. En cuanto pueda paso el enlace.
      Un besazo.

1. Consuelo Post author

Aún no jajaja. Fue algo repentino, en cuanto pueda subo el enlace nuevo. Es que se hizo un blog, pero se le ha olvidado la url y tendrá que hacerse otro!

10. thecupcakeconfession

What can be more depressing than homework and exams! :( All the BEST TO YOU Consuelo! I have my term finals this Friday *freaked out* These sandwiches look delish and I want to make this like, right now, loveeee the asparagus peeping out! Ummm and yes…. Mum’s definitely doing all of the egg frying and dish washing work! :D I’ll just assemble haha! {We’re busy after all! :P }

1. Consuelo Post author

Best of luck to you!! Are those your last exams ever?? Because that’d be amazing! Hahahah thank you so much, dear! :)

11. Cindy

Ah, Pinterest is awesome. I’ve been crazy busy lately and finding time to blog and check out blogs hardly fits in, but I do scroll through pinterest before bedtime :D
    Aren’t breakfast sandwiches the best?! This sandwich looks yummy! I love your combination of ingredients.

12. Louisa [Living Lou]

I love breakfast sandwiches! This one sounds delicious, and your white balance looks ok to me! You’ll get the hang of it! Play around with the white balance settings in your camera and you’ll be a pro before you know it.

13. padresfrikerizos (@padresfrikerizo)

Qué pintaza tiene el sandwich consuelo, es un desayuno perfecto para una mañana completita de paseo por ejemplo, o como cena que en casa somos de sandwich, así que lo probaremos seguro.

Ahora mismito me voy a pasar por el blog de la mami que nos dejó la URL en el nuestro y toy impaciente!!!
    Besos

1. Consuelo Post author

¡Es perfecto en cualquier momento, vamos! Aquí en casa también nos gustan mucho ;) Muchas gracias y un beso!

14. Two Healthy Kitchens

What a fantastic sandwich! I adore breakfast sandwiches, and this is a perfect combination of flavors! I love that it includes protein and whole grains for sustained energy, plus lots of veggies. My kinda sandwich!!! :D ~Shelley

15. Pingback: Savory Cornmeal Waffles with Poached Egg, Salmon and Asparagus | honey & figs

16. Pingback: 8 Quick and Easy Egg Sandwich Recipes