Fried Egg and Serrano Ham Breakfast Sandwich

{Nota en Español}

I love my sandwiches so full of ingredients that I can barely fit them into my mouth, let alone eating them without making a complete mess. The more disastrous, the merrier.

This breakfast sandwich really fits the bill. Stuffed with a fried egg, serrano ham, asparagus, tomato and avocado, it is seriously one of the best sammies you’ll ever try and I’m not kidding here. I never joke when it comes to sandwiches. Or food. And it is obviously very difficult to eat, so bonus points for that. Because really, who wants a sad-looking, dull sandwich in which you can taste the bread alone? I’ll tell you: n o b o d y.

Who would choose a ham + bread sammie when you could have this deliciousness instead? Not me for sure. When it comes to sandwiches, it’s all or nothing. I actually do spend more time making sandwiches than dessert, whoops. Although this one isn’t on the time consuming side… Assuming that you know how to fry an egg without burning your finger, which I don’t… That’s why I get mum to do the “dirty” bussiness aka egg frying and dish-washing.

Get your mums, dads, siblings, boyfriends or girlfriends to do the job for you and you’ll have this sandwich ready in mere minutes. Or you can always try your luck at frying eggs, but please, beware of the hot oil (((that stuff is so painful))). Who knows, you might be an egg-master (if you are, please, ship your egg-cooking talent to me, because I’m a big fan of eggs and I never seem to be able to cook them properly).

Jokes aside, please, make this sandwich, I promise you won’t regret it.

And hey, do you know waht else is a joke here? The white balance I set for these pics… I couldn’t get the sandwich to look as delish as it tasted because of the light. Seriously, white balance is going to be the death of me. Looks like I’ll have to keep on making this sandwich in order to get a perfect picture. And it’s not that I want to eat this baby again, it’s only because it’s good for the blog, duh.

C’mon, guys. If you’re skilled at frying eggs, don’t waste your talent on not making this. And if you’re not, you can always get my mum to fry them for you. Mum’s fried eggs are awesome, how I wish I had inherited her talent!

Fried Egg and Serrano Ham Breakfast Sandwiches

Serves 1
Prep time 10 minutes
Allergy Egg
Meal type Breakfast, Lunch
Misc Serve Cold

Ingredients

• 2 Slices of multigrain bread (use your favorite)
  • 1/4 avocado (sliced)
  • 2-3 Slices serrano ham
  • 3-4 asparagus
  • 1/2 tomato
  • 1 egg
  • extra-virgin olive oil (to toast bread and for pan)

Directions

Heat a little bit of extra virgin olive oil in your pan and when it's hot, fry serrano ham and asparagus until done to your preference.
Fry your egg the way you like it better. No point in asking me for advice, I'm helpless at egg-making.
Toast bread with some olive oil of a dab of butter and arrange ingredients on top.

On a side note, let me remind you that the wifi isn’t working properly in this new house these days, so I’m forced to use my mobile phone to see what you’re all making lately. So, it’d be nice if you guys followed me on Pinterest, because it’s what I’ll be using the most these days. Besides my textbooks, that’s it. I have a deathly biochemistry exam coming up next week *cries*. Exams and eggs which are impossible to fry properly are going to kill me. And slow wifi, I loathe that too. And white balance settings which don’t work as they should, they drive me crazy!

Now, let’s be all whiny together: what gets on your nerves? Is it homework? Slow wifi? Burned food that you were meant to photograph? Maybe members of your household eating your baking supplies? Tell me, please. I’d love to hear it!

By the way, Mum is leaving the blog to start her own. I would link you to it, but one: she forgot her own url and two: she’ll write in Spanish so I don’t know if you’re interested. From now on, due to the lack of time, I will be only writing in English.

Happy Sunday,

Consuelo.

• Reply Chocolate Shavings October 20, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Looks like a perfect breakfast sandwich to me! And lovely photos 😉

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Thank you so much, dear! x

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven October 20, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Lately the cold weather has been getting on my nerves. I hate being cold and now I’m cold all the time. Time to reevaluate living in Canada! Love the sammie :)

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm

It’s still quite hot here, but it gets so so cold where I live when it’s November. Ugh, it’s going to be terrible! Thanks :)

• Reply Stephanie @ Everyday Feasts October 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Yum, this looks delicious! Things that are currently getting on my nerves: being sick (not fun!) and not having enough time to do all of the things you really want to do because there are only 24 hours in a day. Good luck with the move and your exam! x

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Thank you so much, Stephanie! I do hate being sick too! x

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl October 20, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I keep forgetting that you have to write 2 posts for both languages, and once again I’m amazed how you find the time for these things! Also, this looks like the most delicious sandwich I have ever seen. One of my favourite breakfasts is parma-wrapped asparagus with a poached egg so this just sounds like the same thing but on a new level – yum! And great photos, again!

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Those parma-wrapped asparagus sound like something I should try soon! Thank you so much, Aimee! :)

• Reply Laurel y Menta October 20, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Ay Consuelo, cuántas noticias… Lo primero, felicidades a tu mami por su nuevo blog (esperamos impacientes el link…). A ver si nos vamos arreglando con el inglés: hace mucho que no practicamos, ja, ja… Y las traducciones automáticas son horrendaaaaas!!!
    Preguntas qué nos pone de los nervios: ufff, taaaaaantas cosas. Una de ellas, estar el 20 de octubre a 30 grados en el norte de España: tu crees que es normal? Nos van a tener que ingresar en alguna parte…
    El sandwich, ma-ra-vi-llo-so, nos encanta, ya nos buscaremos algún-alguna incaut@ que nos fría huevos, ja, ja…
    Suerte en el exámen y nos seguimos leyendo.
    Besitos.

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Dice que muchas gracias, a ver si se lo puedo poner en funcionamiento pronto.
      ¿30 grados? Qué calor, por Dios… Aquí también hace bastante, pero esto es el centro, así que es normal.
      Muchísimas gracias, un beso :)

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {tootj} life October 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Hehe, my siblings don’t ask if they want them to make my sandwiches anymore – they’re too complicated! I don’t think I can send you any egg cooking skills:) but I will come eat this with you! It looks delicious! The asparagus and avocado combo looks (oh my goodness)good!

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm

It is truly an awesome combo. I hope you’ll love it, girl! Thanks 😀

• Reply Consuelo October 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm

It is truly an awesome combo. I hope you’ll love it, girl! Thanks :)

• Reply Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 21, 2013 at 12:49 am

Dear Consuelo’s Sandwich,

I think you are a thing of beauty. I love how you look. Please be mine.

Love,
    Pamela

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

My sandwich says thanks and sends hugs to you 😉

• Reply Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron October 21, 2013 at 1:21 am

This sandwich looks so amazing! I’ve never tried serrano ham before. Congrats to your mom for starting her own blog! Anyway, what gets on my nerves? Well, the family eating baking supplies… Yeah, that’s annoying. 😛

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I hope you get to try it soon, it’s so delish! Thanks :)
      And yeah, that’s so annoying indeed!

• Reply Monica October 21, 2013 at 4:52 am

Okay…multigrain bread is my favorite right next to english muffins and I have a ham & egg sandwich for breakfast a few times a week. Your sandwich takes it to a whole other level and I just adore it!

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Would you believe that I’ve never tried an english muffin?? Thank you so much, Monica :)

• Reply Monet October 21, 2013 at 5:03 am

Gorgeous. I love my sandwiches with heaps piled on so this is a clear winner in my book! The asparagus makes it extra special! Then again, you can never go wrong with a fried egg! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thank you for stopping by, Monet. I’m super happy you like it! :-*

• Reply marcie@flavorthemoments October 21, 2013 at 5:03 am

I would love to sink my teeth into this sandwich! It’s so full of things I love — asparagus is one of my all time favorite veggies, too.

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen October 21, 2013 at 5:09 am

Your breakfast sandwich looks out of this world! Love avocado and asparagus and I’m going to have to find some seranno ham because I haven’t had any in a really long time.
    Followed you on Pinterest! :)

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for following, Christin! I followed you back! I hope you get all the ingredients and try it 😉

• Reply Covadonga October 21, 2013 at 9:41 am

Consuelo, seguiremos atentas a tus recetas, eso ni lo dudes, y nos apañaremos con el inglés, eso sí tengo que decir que me encanta que Maria José te hayas decidido a independizarte con tu propio blog, aquí me tienes a la espera de la comunicación oficial :)
    Besinos para ambas

• Reply MoonLight @ AWorldInMyOven October 21, 2013 at 9:53 am

Haha, you mean you could’ve made this look even better with different lighting? I’m looking forward to that! When I make sandwiches they always turn out really simple, so this looks like a 5-star restaurant meal to me.. I’d love to have one of those right now!

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Yeah, it was a really gloomy day :(
      Thank you so much, dear! x

• Reply Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com October 21, 2013 at 9:58 am

Gorrrrgeous sandwich! The only problem is that I am lazy in the mornings–so in addition to a recipe, I also need someone to make it for me. :) But otherwise it looks perfect!

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Luckily I’m not lazy, because I don’t think I can get my brothers to make it for me lol Thanks! x

• Reply Joanne October 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I totally agree with you! I love sandwiches that are positively STUFFED to the brim!

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Absolutely, aren’t they perfect? x

• Reply Yeste Lima October 21, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Ni pienses siquiera que te vamos a abandonar, si tenemos que tirar de traductor, tiraremos, qué le vamos a hacer, Consuelo, tú no te preocupes por eso.

Pero la verdad es que nos alegramos o yo, me alegro de que tu mami tenga su propio blog, creo que fui una de las primeras en aconsejarle porque creo firmemente que puede aportarnos mucho, sé que le gusta escribir y sé también que me gustará lo que escriba, y también sé que le va a ir muy bien y tendrá amigos incondicionales que la seguiremos.

Espero pronto el enlace. Felicítala de mi parte.

Muchos besos Consuelo.

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Muchísimas gracias, la verdad es que le hace mucha mucha ilusión que vayáis a leerla. En cuanto pueda paso el enlace.
      Un besazo.

• Reply Dolega October 21, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Que tiene blog propio????????
    ¡¡¡¡Dooooonde!!!
    Porque se me deja fuera de las noticias importantes :(

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Aún no jajaja. Fue algo repentino, en cuanto pueda subo el enlace nuevo. Es que se hizo un blog, pero se le ha olvidado la url y tendrá que hacerse otro!

• Reply thecupcakeconfession October 21, 2013 at 6:04 pm

What can be more depressing than homework and exams! :( All the BEST TO YOU Consuelo! I have my term finals this Friday *freaked out* These sandwiches look delish and I want to make this like, right now, loveeee the asparagus peeping out! Ummm and yes…. Mum’s definitely doing all of the egg frying and dish washing work! 😀 I’ll just assemble haha! {We’re busy after all! 😛 }

• Reply Consuelo October 21, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Best of luck to you!! Are those your last exams ever?? Because that’d be amazing! Hahahah thank you so much, dear! :)

• Reply Cindy October 21, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Ah, Pinterest is awesome. I’ve been crazy busy lately and finding time to blog and check out blogs hardly fits in, but I do scroll through pinterest before bedtime 😀
    Aren’t breakfast sandwiches the best?! This sandwich looks yummy! I love your combination of ingredients.

• Reply Louisa [Living Lou] October 22, 2013 at 4:30 am

I love breakfast sandwiches! This one sounds delicious, and your white balance looks ok to me! You’ll get the hang of it! Play around with the white balance settings in your camera and you’ll be a pro before you know it.

• Reply Consuelo October 22, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Aw thank you so much, Louisa! It means a lot coming from someone who takes such beautiful pics :)

• Reply padresfrikerizos (@padresfrikerizo) October 23, 2013 at 8:51 am

Qué pintaza tiene el sandwich consuelo, es un desayuno perfecto para una mañana completita de paseo por ejemplo, o como cena que en casa somos de sandwich, así que lo probaremos seguro.

Ahora mismito me voy a pasar por el blog de la mami que nos dejó la URL en el nuestro y toy impaciente!!!
    Besos

• Reply Consuelo October 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm

¡Es perfecto en cualquier momento, vamos! Aquí en casa también nos gustan mucho 😉 Muchas gracias y un beso!

• Reply Two Healthy Kitchens October 25, 2013 at 5:06 pm

What a fantastic sandwich! I adore breakfast sandwiches, and this is a perfect combination of flavors! I love that it includes protein and whole grains for sustained energy, plus lots of veggies. My kinda sandwich!!! 😀 ~Shelley

• Reply Consuelo October 25, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Breakfast sammies are my favorite as well! I hope you get to try it 😉

• Reply Savory Cornmeal Waffles with Poached Egg, Salmon and Asparagus | honey & figs November 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm

[…] kind of breakfast sandwich and you’ll have me doing a happy dance around you, like, I love breakfast sammies so much that it’s not even funny I tell […]

• Reply 8 Quick and Easy Egg Sandwich Recipes February 3, 2014 at 1:15 pm

[…] Fried Egg and Serrano Ham Sandwich Fix up a breakfast that’s full of folate, an inflammation-fighting B vitamin that occurs in […]

• Reply Thomas May 25, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Fried egg and serrano ham sandwich it´s a nice idea for healthy breakfast. It´s takes just a couple of minits and is very, very easy. Great idea.