Healthier “Baked” Beans

{Pulsa aquí para ver la versión en español de mamá}

This didn’t mean to be a recipe for baked beans, but for chocolate cake… you’d better not ask what happened to the cake though.

So baked beans it is.

You see, I’ve always had a lot of posts photographed and ready to go just in case that someday I don’t get round to cook something, shoot it and the write about it… and I’ve still got lots of those that I don’t really feel like posting because the pictures aren’t as good as the ones shot with the new camera. I haven’t had much time since I got the DSRL, since I’m still busy with grape-harvesting (when will it ever end???), lots of homework and half-marathon training; so I’ve completely run out of things to post.

I decided then, that I’d make chocolate cake. An easy, everyday one: one bowl so I didn’t have lots of stuff to wash up (which I loathe), simple ingredients so I didn’t have to go to the store, and it was even pretty healthy one. It sounded perfect, didn’t it? But oh, boy, it didn’t turn out… like at all. I might show you some pics of the mess later on twitter in case you’re eager to see which kind of terrible things can happen to a cake *sighs*.

These baked beans turned out to be a perfect solution for my post luckily! These are on our lunch weekly rotation, and we’ve made them like hundred of times, but I’d never had thought about sharing the recipe… I don’t even know why, since it’s tastier and lighter than most recipes!

Baked beans are the perfect cozy food for cold, fall and winter days. Can you think of anything more comforting than a warm bowl of beans in a thick, lighty spicy sauce? Oh, and can I mention as well that unlike most recipes out there, these can be made in LESS THAN AN HOUR and even the day before. And leftovers reheat wonderfully too. Win, win and win!

I must confess here that I hate chorizo, but it adds such a delicious smoked kick to this dish, so don’t skip it when you’re cooking the beans. Although if you like me can’t stand the sight of it, you can always make your brother eat your piece. My favorite way to eat these is adding some sauteed curried veggies to it, but that makes them look so disgusting that it’s impossible to take a single decent picture. Ugly or not, they taste awesome that way, and a bit of extra fiber is never a bad thing, right?

Healthier Baked Beans

Serves 4
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 35 minutes
Total time 45 minutes

Ingredients

• 250 Grams dry pinto beans
  • 4 spanish chorizos
  • 1 onion
  • 2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tsp. smoked paprika
  • enough water to cover the beans
  • salt and pepper

Directions

Soak the beans overnight.
Heat olive oil in a pressure cooker saucepan and once it's sizzling hot, add onions and chorizo and sautee until fragant.
Add paprika and remove pan from heat so it doesn't burn, while you stir it for a minute.
Add dry beans and enough water to cover them (but not too much) and bring the pan back to the heat.
Put the pressure lid and cook for 20-30 minutes or until beans are done, which depends on your pressure cooker.
Take off the lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes so the sauce gets thicker.

Note

If you don't own a pressure cooker, this would take about an hour or so to cook in an average pan.

Happy weekend!

• Reply Meghan @ Spoonful of Flour October 11, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Oh no, recipe fails are the worst! At least you had these baked beans to share- they look wonderful and so perfect for fall!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm

They are terrible indeed :(( Thank you! x

• Reply thecupcakeconfession October 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I’m so sorry for the cake! I’ve recently suffered a kitchen disaster myself and my flapjacks just crumbled into a mess! Anyways,,,,,, this recipe for baked beans is super amazing! I loveeee beans and hot curries and this is just the perfect combo! I can imagine myself all wrapped in a warm blanket having this as my meal! Yum!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm

That’s terrible, flapjacks are so hard to work with!! Yeah, this is so cozy. Perfect fall comfort food! Thanks Samina, have a great weekend :)

• Reply Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner October 11, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Cake to baked beans…the real question is did you throw out the cake? I’ve done that before and my family gets mad at me. They say they’ll eat anything. Lol.
    These baked beans look delish! Happy accident. :)

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I didn’t, of course! My family would have killed me! Actually, I served it custard style, because we had to eat it with a spoon since it crumbled so so so much lol
      Thanks, Tina! :))

• Reply Dolega October 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm

¡Joder, Mª José, me ha encantado! He vivido tu calor en Sevilla.
    Esto de los comentarios en la parte de español hay que solucionarlo ¡Ya! 😛
    Besazo
    Me ha gustado muuuucho.

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 11, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Me alegro mucho que te haya gustado, pero he leído todas las demás tontás, y hay un nivelazo. Menos mal que tengo la excusa de que soy una recién llegada a este mundo, porque lo mío comparado con los demás es una castaña.
      La nena no sabe solucionar lo de los comentarios. Ya verás, la solución es que me monte yo un chiringuito para mí sola…
      Un beso.

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life October 11, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Your second pic is lovely! I agree, we have a ton of recipes we use all the time, but because they are old to me, I never feel like posting them. I really should. I also should try these! They would be such a hit (seriously, I LOVE baked beans!)

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Awww, thank you so so much! I hope you try these and looove them :)

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven October 11, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I wish I liked baked beans! I have a couple recipes that I keep in my arsenal for days when I have no content. The pictures are usually terrible which is why I’m hoarding them but the recipes always taste good!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 9:04 pm

You might like these though: they’re more like the Spanish version of Baked Beans 😉
      Yeah, I see your problem! I’ve got loads of lovely recipes hoarded but the pics are just ew! x

• Reply Marinel October 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Bueno, pues ha sido un gusto saber de esta receta, tendré que probar a ver qué tal me salen!
    Tienen buena pinta.
    Vengo de la convocatoria de Yeste y sus Tontás, que ha hecho nuestras.
    Un besito.

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 14, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Muchas gracias por pasarte. Perdona que no haya contestado antes, pero en fin de semana no dispongo de ordenador, y desde el teléfono se me da fatal.
      A mí también me parece muy buena idea la idea de Yeste. A ver si perdura, porque así nos vamos conociendo más.
      Un beso.

• Reply blahnikbaker October 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Recipe fails are the worst especially when you had high hopes for it. I’m sorry. But these beans are saving the day. It looks so comforting!! I have a ton of bad pictures in my repertoire but great recipes and I haven’t had the energy to remake them and shoot again but I should for rainy days when I don’t have anything to post.

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, they are terrible! :(( I have to reshoot a lot of stuff, actually, the old pictures look horrible lol Thanks! xx

• Reply Ashley October 11, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Oh I love baked beans! I also love chorizo so I will definitely eat that all myself! haha

Recipe fails are a huge bummer – but I think my attitude is getting better about them over time! Learn and move on!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm

You can eat mine next time then 😉
      Yeah, moving on is the best thing but it’s so hard sometimes!
      Have a great weekend! x

• Reply Amy @ Elephant Eats October 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

There are so many recipes we eat every day and never think to share i bet! How funny. I’m sure glad you thought of sharing this one with us because it looks so delicious and filling :)

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Absolutely! Although my everyday food usually looks too ugly to share, but delicious nevermind! Thanks Amy 😀

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen October 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

It’s so frustrating when a recipe doesn’t turn out. Especially when you are already pressed for time. Even worse is when you’ve dirtied up lots of dishes in the process. But the bean recipe looks delicious. Nothing like a failed recipe to make you cherish your simple, full proof recipes that you use all the time! :) Have a great weekend!

• Reply Consuelo October 11, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Dirty dishes are the worst part indeed, oh how I hate those!! Thank you Christin, you too have a nice weekend :)

• Reply cosicasdenuestravidaola cosicasdenuestravida October 11, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Maria jose!!!! Llevo 1 hora leyendote!!! Que gracia!!!! Tu ngcesitas un chiringuito xa ti sola!!!! Jaja !!!!!
    Eres muy graciosa!!!!! Que suerte tener una hija tan apañada en la cocina!!!!

Lola de cosicasdenuestravida

• Reply Yeste Lima October 11, 2013 at 11:29 pm

¡¡¡Bueno, bueno, buenooo….!!! Espera, antes de darte la enhorabuena, tengo que agradecerte la dedicatoria, me ha hecho mucha ilusión, gracias, M.José

La enhorabuena, sí, la enhorabuena, porque te la mereces, porque está muy bien, porque la has escrito contando retazos de tu vida y a la vez, llevándonos adonde querías, a que viviéramos un ratito de ese concierto que yo no ví, pero que tuvo que ser la repera…. me encanta Bruce.

Un personaje interesantísimo que tú has sabido traernos un rato. Me ha gustado mucho M.Joséy sí, también pienso que deberías arriesgarte y tener tu propio blog, ahora sé con másseguridad quelo defenderás estupendamente y ahí estaremos todos tus amigos.

Besos apretaos, ve pensando en la de Noviembre, jajaja.

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 14, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Si al final vas a ser la culpable de que me independice…. Ya tengo blog en wordpress, pero sin nombre aún, a ver si tengo tiempo y le voy dando forma
      Me alegro mucho que te haya gustado mi historia. Tenemos que volver a Sevilla, porque ese viaje, tan coja como iba, me supo a poco.
      Un beso.

• Reply Laurel y Menta October 12, 2013 at 12:06 am

La receta, no por conocida, deja de ser estupenda: vaya plato fantástico…
    Y la Tontá, estupendísima: a nosotras también nos gusta El Boss y ha sido muy agradable revivir ese concierto contigo.
    Un besazo y feliz finde.

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 14, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Perdonad que no haya contestado antes, pero en finde no tengo ordenador y se me da fatal hacer comentarios desde el teléfono.
      Fue un concierto estupendo, tenemos muchas ganas de repetir, sobre todo Consuelo…
      Un beso.

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen October 12, 2013 at 12:11 am

Consuelo, your post made me LOL! I dreaded to hear about what happened to the cake. :-) These baked beans look wonderful – and it’s great to hear they are so simple to make. Beans are such an awesome boost of protein and I love them for a fall or chilly winter meal!

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 9:23 am

I’ll tweet it later if I get round to it 😉 Yeah, they’re so cozy and perfect for a winter evening! Thanks! xx

• Reply Cindy October 12, 2013 at 12:17 am

Isn’t just so frustrating when a recipe doesn’t turn out like you want it to. Even more frustrating is when you make something and it doesn’t photograph well. We are huge fans of beans and I love baked beans. This is definitely some warm you up comfort food 😀

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 9:24 am

Yeah, it can be so frustrating! :( Thanks Cindy, I hope you’ll love these! x

• Reply Marcie October 12, 2013 at 1:56 am

The every day dishes are the ones we don’t think are special enough to share, but honestly, they’re most important! These sound so soulful and comforting – I know I would love them, and I’m very glad you shared them!

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 9:26 am

So agree! I don’t know what my family and I would do without this recipe! Thanks a lot, Marcie! x

• Reply Monica October 12, 2013 at 3:40 am

So sorry about that chocolate cake – yikes! But the upside is definitely these beans. : ) They look delicious and all the better when it’s that quick and easy! I love beans and this is perfect for chilling days that we’re having here now.

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 9:31 am

Yes, they’re so so easy! Aw, I love them too and they’re definitely perfect for cool weather :)

• Reply anecdotesandapples October 12, 2013 at 4:55 am

I’m sorry about the cake but I’m happy that it meant you shared these beans! I’ve been wanting a healthier baked bean recipe for quite some time! This looks delicious…especially on a cool fall evening. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 9:32 am

I hope you do love this if you try them! Happy weekend! x

• Reply Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen October 12, 2013 at 5:25 am

So sorry about your chocolate cake fail. I’m sure you will remedy it soon. LOVE baked beans and chorizo, so must try this soon. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 9:33 am

Yeah, I have to try to make it again when I have time! Thank you, I hope you’ll love these! x

• Reply Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 12, 2013 at 7:18 am

I hope you’d try baking the chocolate cake again — these baked beans are so comforting :)

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 9:34 am

Yes, it’s on my list again! Thank you 😀

• Reply Allie BakingAMoment October 12, 2013 at 3:21 pm

What a lovely light lunch! I can imagine how that chorizo must add such great flavor… And girl, I do not know how you do it all! I am forever trying to stockpile photos and recipes for a rainy day, and I can never seem to get on top of that! You have so much going on, and yet you find the time to post so frequently! You’re a rockstar!

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Awww, thank you so so much! This comment just made my day (my night, actually, it’s so late now!). I’m so happy you like it! Have a nice weekend :)

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl October 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Well I love chorizo so I’d probably add extra to this dish – sounds delicious! And great pics again :-) I actually have a few recipes I haven’t posted on my blog because I wasn’t happy with the photos, and strangely enough, one of those recipes is for homemade baked beans. I used a whiskey and bbq sauce which was delicious…. But the photos were crap! So I was going to wait until I made them again, because I’m picky like that…

• Reply Consuelo October 12, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I hope you get to make them again, because girl, they sound awesome! Thank you so much, Aimee! x

• Reply Anne ~ Uni Homemaker October 13, 2013 at 8:28 am

This looks so hearty and delicious Consuelo! Is it weird to want a big bowl right now before bedtime?! 😀

• Reply Consuelo October 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Nah, it’s so good I always crave it no matter what time it is 😉 Thanks, Anne!

• Reply tere October 13, 2013 at 11:02 am

qué buena pinta tienen! como me gustan los platos de cuchara, ashora con el fresco entran solos..nunca los cocine asi, pero probare, !un besote

• Reply María José - Honey and Figs October 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Pues son muy rápidas de hacer, fíjate que aunque no son mi plato favorito, en casa se hacen mucho porque aparte de que a todos les encantan, son una de las cosas más rápidas de preparar.
      Un beso.

• Reply Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen October 14, 2013 at 12:52 am

Oh I know all about those cakes that don’t turn out the way we planned….. Oh Boy do I know! These beans look and sound wonderful! Baked Beans are my hubby’s favorite! I will for sure have to make these for him!

• Reply Consuelo October 14, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Yeah, aren’t they terrible? :(( Aw, thank you! I hope he’ll love them! x

• Reply vanillasugarblog October 14, 2013 at 12:58 am

my grandfather used to make baked beans that took 3 days to make.
    but that sauce was so thick, so rich and full of sweet BBQ flavor; a taste that made you almost want to drink it.

• Reply Consuelo October 14, 2013 at 3:41 pm

3 days??? Oh My, they must have been amazing! xx

• Reply Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens October 17, 2013 at 5:12 pm

So I’m dying to hear more details about the poor chocolate cake! Too funny! And I’m totally with you on the problems of using posts you photographed a while ago – Gretchen and I have the same dilemma! Sometimes by the time we get around to actually posting a recipe, we look at the photos and see so many ways that we’d do them differently! Loving these baked beans!!!!! 😀

• Reply Consuelo October 17, 2013 at 5:39 pm