How to Brown Butter

It’s a bad picture week and I’m sorry for that. Seriously, daylight saving time? Who thought of that in the first place… You might be saving daylight, but you’re getting your pictures ruined. And that’s not fun. Spending  h-o-u-r-s  to make and frost a cake just to take pictures of it which make it look terrible? Not great. It makes me more whiny than usual, and that’s a lot.

The only decent pictures I get to take, are those that I shoot in the morning. But guess where am I in the morning? School. Partially ruining my life too. Please, homework go away.

I wish I could devote my life to cooking, shooting, writing, commenting on blogs (because commenting on blogs is way better than commenting on Aristotle’s writings, duh) and marathon training… Someday, guys, someday.

Meanwhile, homework and a sore leg is all I get. And terrible lightning, I get that too. Sorry for the bad vibes, rants and whininess… I promise I’ll stop someday. Hey, give me cake and I’ll stop. Cake’s about the only thing that stops me from complaining about these new lighting conditions. Cake makes everything better, cake makes persons happier, cake makes life easier.

If only cake could improve the lightning in my patio. Or kitchen, mind you. But I’m already used to my poorly-iluminated kitchen, so that’s no nig deal. Until I’m forced to take pics inside of it, that’s it. Because, as for the moment, I’m unable to move the stovetop from the kitchen to the patio.

If only cake could do so.

The only thing that makes cake better than it already is, is brown butter. But you guys know that brown butter makes everything better. Heck, it brightens my day just by smelling it!

I hope you’ve all tried brown butter right now. It will actually change your life. Trust me when I say that I haven’t gone back to plain butter ever since I tried this version. Yeah, I’m a pretty obsessive person and when I like something, I make it over and over again until I get to loathe it. It’s all or nothing, guys. Love it or hate it, that’s me. I simply do not “like” things. I have this problem when I go obsessed over them.

And this, guys, is my current obsession (oh well, one of them). And I want you all to try it and become obsessed over it with me, so we can all fangirl about it together. Yeah.

So I made a step-by-step tutorial. The quality of the pics is terrible, but I think you should be able to see what the butter should look like in every step *I think*. Anyway, I’ll try my best to explain it to you, ok? Let’s go.

1) Start off with quality butter. Plain butter makes amazing brown butter, but good butter makes out-of-this-world-good-so-awesome-it-makes-me-want-to-scream butter. Quality butter doesn’t have to be expensive though. The one I buy is one of the cheapest in the market, yet it’s way better than most brands. Check different brands to see which one you like better!

I like using unsalted butter, but I guess it should work with salted butter too.

Now, cube the butter: it’ll be easier to melt that way.

2) Get a pan and start melting the butter on medium heat. A light-colored pan works better because you can see which color the butter is in every step. However, I don’t own one of those, and I always use a black one, which works perfect for me!

3) Once melted, keep cooking on medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes more. Some bubbles should appear now. Keep stirring so the butter doesn’t stick to the bottom of the  pan.

4) When bubbles appear, keep stirring for 3-4 minutes more, until it turns darker in color and your kitchen starts smelling heavenly.

Once ready, it should be hazel colored. If it’s get too dark, I’m afraid you’ve burnt it. Don’t worry though, you will know it before you start to actually burn it!

When I took the last picture, I kept stirring for 1 minute more before I removed my pan from heat.

So, I hope this is handy for you guys. Now that you know how to brown butter, you might want to try these recipes:

Brown Butter Greek Yogurt Cake – my favorite dessert ever!

Brown Butter Crescent Rolls – c’mon, you need these for Thanksgiving!

Brown Butter Layer Cake with Nutella Frosting – need I say more?

Brown Butter Apple Kuchen – Apples + Brown Butter = heaven

Sorry for the crappy post, I’ll be back soon with a delicious cheesy (yet super healthy!) recipe. Assuming that DLS let me take decent pictures ahem.

Happy weekend!

Consuelo

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven November 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm

You are wayyyy too hard on yourself with the pictures. They all look fantastic! And thanks for the tutorial. I’ve been having irrational cravings for butter lately. I’,m hoping it will be a butter filled weekend!

• Reply Consuelo November 8, 2013 at 9:55 pm

No, they don’t, but hey, thank you girl!! 😉 Oooh I’d love to have a butter filled weekend as well, can I come over? x

• Reply Jamie@Milk N Cookies November 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I love that you compiled all your favorite brown butter recipes in one helpful list! And I think a brown butter tutorial is so helpful. The first time I browned butter, I was so worried it would all end up burnt and the entire stick would be wasted!

• Reply Consuelo November 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hahaha me too! But it came out so nice in the end 😉

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life November 8, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Lighting is SO fickle, but really, these look great! And all of the recipes look so good. This is really helpful; every time I’ve browned butter, I guessed:) This will make sure I get it right!

• Reply Consuelo November 8, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I agree, Mary Frances!
      Still I don’t think these look nice, but thank you anyway! :-**

• Reply Kelly November 8, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Love brown butter and thanks for sharing this great tutorial and wonderful recipes with us :) Hope it’s a better week for you next week and have a great weekend Consuelo :)

• Reply Consuelo November 8, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Aww, thank you so much! You too have a wonderful weekend :)

• Reply Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes November 9, 2013 at 12:15 am

I browned butter for the first time the other day…was surprised how easy it was!!!

• Reply Consuelo November 9, 2013 at 12:48 am

And delish, right? 😉

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen November 9, 2013 at 2:14 am

Actually, I lllooovvveee browned butter, and I think a tutorial on how to do it is an EXCELLENT idea. To get it right isn’t easy – so helping people understand how to do it is very helpful! Nicely done. And, the photos look great too.

• Reply Consuelo November 9, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I love it too! Thank you so much Kristi. Have a great weekend :-)

• Reply Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens November 9, 2013 at 2:28 am

Hey, Consuelo! Looooove this! I adore browned butter (hint … hint … we’ve got a recipe with it coming up in a couple weeks!), and I totally agree with Kristi that the tutorial was a fab idea! So, cake may not be able to single-handedly move your stove to the patio … but browned butter cake just might be able to make it happen! 😀

• Reply Consuelo November 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I can’t wait for your recipe, I’m sure it’ll be wonderful!! Yeah, brown butter cake seems to have superpowers, doesn’t it? 😉

• Reply Kammie November 9, 2013 at 3:56 am

Fabulous. I’ve been seeing recipes using browned butter all over the place so this is very helpful. Yum!

• Reply Consuelo November 9, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thanks Kammie, I’m so happy you found it helpful! x

• Reply Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron November 9, 2013 at 5:49 am

I love to brown butter. It’s so fun and smells wonderful. I never cubed the butter first but I’ll make sure and do that next time! Thanks for this tutorial!

• Reply Consuelo November 9, 2013 at 12:36 pm

It melts faster that way, so it makes browning butter even quickier! Have a nice weekend, Ruby! xx

• Reply Sowmya Dinavahi November 9, 2013 at 8:38 am

I really needed a step by step for brown butter. I heard it tastes yum with anything :) Thanks for the recipe. Never thought it was this simple :)

• Reply Consuelo November 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

It is! Thank you so much for stopping by, Sowmya 😀

• Reply Sugar and Cinnamon November 9, 2013 at 9:12 am

Oh my gosh that layer cake! It looks incredible! I can almost smell the brown butter

• Reply Consuelo November 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I can’t because I have a cold 😉
      Thank you!! x

• Reply Johlene November 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

Hey there Consuelo, I´ve never baked with brown butter before and after reading your post ´tengo ganas´! Sorry to hear about your lighting problems.. I can completely relate.. nothing worst than spending a day baking and decorating and when it´s time to take your pics your lighting is bad.. it gets to me sometimes too! Have a great week! Xx

• Reply Consuelo November 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yeah, try it as soon as possible, I’m sure you’ll love it!
      Yup, DLS is a food blogger’s nightmare, isn’t it? :((
      Have a wonderful week, dear! x

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl November 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I’m going to dub you the “Brown Butter Queen” :-) and shhh about your photos, I’ve never seen a photo of yours that hasn’t been brilliant so shhh!

• Reply Consuelo November 10, 2013 at 9:57 am

The “Brown Butter Queen”?? Awh, that sounds lovely haha. Thank you, Aimee! :-)

• Reply atasteofmadess November 9, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I have only discovered brown butter last year, and I love it! Thanks for the reminder, I need to make something with brown butter soon!

• Reply Consuelo November 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

Isn’t it wonderful? 😉

• Reply Laurel y Menta November 9, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Estupendo tutorial Consuelo. Nosotras ya lo hemos puesto en práctica y, desde luego se nota la diferencia.
    Un besito.

• Reply Consuelo November 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

Me alegro de que os haya servido de ayuda,
      Un beso 😀

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen November 11, 2013 at 4:26 am

Wonderful tutorial Consuelo! I need to make some brown butter and then make that fabulous Nutella Cake of yours!

• Reply Consuelo November 11, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I hope you love it, Christin! :)

• Reply marcie@flavorthemoments November 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I’m having trouble photographing since daylight savings time kicked in — I need an indoor photography light! I’ve browned butter once only to find out it wasn’t brown enough because I had a dark pan. I just got a stainless steel pan so I can tell what’s going on, and I intend to brown lots of butter! Great tutorial, Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo November 11, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Yeah, I need one of those as well! Your buttery plan sounds amazing, I can’t wait to see all of those brown buttery concoctions you post about! 😉

• Reply Ray November 17, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Your photo’s look great! Have a wonderful Sunday.

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 3:52 pm