Skinny Spaghetti & Meatballs

The post I had planned to post today instead of this one started with “Have you ever cooked something so so great thet you instanly knew that you had to post about it even if that means you have to break your schedule?”… but I’m posting these spaghetti & meatballs recipe instead, since these are so awesome that they’re worth ruining my weelky posting schedule a thousand times.

For the record, I just had to google how to write “Spaghetti”.

I don’t even know how to write it in my mother language, oh well.

Back to the “spaghetti” (it sounds so weird, oh my gosh)… Saying that these are fantastic is an understandement. Basically, we’re talking about a comforting dish of pasta and meatballs in a creamy tomato and red pepper sauce that is healthy and can be made ahead as well. See? Too awesome to be put into words.

Spaghetti and meatballs get a healthy makeover with whole wheat pasta, baked chicken meatballs and a tomato and garden vegetable sauce made from scratch. Top them with some good aged manchego or parmesan and you’re in dinner heaven. Oh, and I added roasted garlic as well, and you know how everything tastes x100000 better with the addition of roasted garlic. That stuff is like the brown butter of savory dishes. In other words: terrific.

The sauce alone is so flavorsome that you won’t miss the extra fat and white carbs. Tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, onion, basil, extra-virgin olive oil and a whole head of roasted garlic simmered to perfection and then thickened with a bit of rosemary crusted manchego… Can you think of any better?

Oh, I can see some of you thinking that the meatballs will result dry and tasteless due to the lack of fat and the fact that they’re baked instead of fried. But oh, boy, they’re so juicy! I added an onion to the mix, and the egg makes a wonderful job keeping them tender. Tough meatballs? Not these ones!

Next time you’re craving comfort food, make these instead of their fatty counterparts. Calories saved are calories that you can waste on cookies… I mean, now’s the time for Christmas Cookie Baking and you know you’ll be indulging on lots of sugar and butter laden creations, won’t you? What’s better than a plate full of Skinny Spaghetti and Meatballs to make up for it?

The recipe:

For the sauce:

900 grams (2 Ib.) tomatoes
2 red bell peppers
1 medium zucchini
1 small eggplant
1 onion
1 head of garlic
50 grams parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil for the pan

For the meatballs:
600 grams ground chicken breasts
50 grams whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 handful of parsley
1 egg
a drizzle of olive oil
3/4 tsp. salt
a dash of black pepper

To serve:
300 grams dry spaghetti (cooked)
fresh basil
extra shredded parmesan

Instructions:

You can make the meatballs ahead of time and they can even be frozen and thawed the day you bake them.
Add ground chicken, salt, pepper, egg, olive oil, breadcrumbs, minced onion and garlic to a bowl.
Mix with your hands until fully combined.
Form balls with your hands, and refrigerate them for at least 30 minutes so they hold their shape better.
Bake at 200ΒΊC (400 F) for 20-25 minutes or until cooked trough.

Roast the garlic at the same time that you’re baking the meatballs.
Add all of the sauce ingredients except for the cheese to a food proccesor and pulse until pureed.
Heat 1-2 tbsp. of olive oil in a saucepan. When it’s hot, add the vegetable puree.
Simmer for 30-35 minutes until all the juice evaporates.
Stir shredded cheese.

Add cooked pasta and baked meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5-10 minutes more.

When still warm, add extra shredded cheese and fresh basil to garnish.

I hope you’ve all had a wonderful weekend! I myself can’t complain, as mine involved layer cake making since it’s mum’s birthday today (happy birthday, mum!!) and a lovely brunch. I’ll be posting about them later this week, but these spaghetti were so good that I had to tell you about them. How about you? Did you cook anything amazing this weekend?

And I’m still looking for a new recipe plugin. Any suggestions? The Get Me Cooking one won’t work for me, and I’ve recently tried Recipe Card just to find out that it messes up with my blog and I get the “death blank page or whatever it’s called”, it’s so annoying!

Happy Monday!

Consuelo

• Reply Meghan @ Spoonful of Flour November 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Such a classic and comforting meal- love that you made it skinny!

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thanks, Meghan ;D

• Reply Davida @The Healthy Maven November 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I swear it’s like you new I was craving meatballs! Another recipe win Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Were you? haha thank you so much! x

• Reply Marcie November 18, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I’m loving the sound of this with eggplant, peppers, and chicken meatballs! We need a whole lot of skinny this time of year, so thank you! This looks so healthy and delicious.

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Thank you so much, Marcie! I’m so happy you like it πŸ˜€

• Reply savynaturalista November 18, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Lovely photo and yummy pasta! I hope your mom has a wonderful birthday! Can’t wait to see the cake your going to make :)

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Thank you so much, dear! I’ll hopefully post about it on Wednesday πŸ˜‰

• Reply blahnikbaker November 18, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Did you say baked chicken meatballs? Oh wow! I am in love with this dish! I love the sound of healthy spaghetti and meatballs :)

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Thanks, Zainab πŸ˜€

• Reply Jamie@Milk N Cookies November 18, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I love that you used so many fresh veggies in this spaghetti sauce. It looks incredibly healthy and nutritious — not to mention flavorful! Sorry I have no recipe plugin suggestions. I’m on blogger, so none of the recipe plugins will work for me!

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Don’t worry, I’ll try some other ones!
      Thank you so mcuh, I’m glad you like it πŸ˜€

• Reply Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life November 18, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Good grieg, this definitely qualifies as fantastic! Baked chicken meatballs – oh my word, must try. Healthy sauce? Whole wheat pasta? I have no words. Pinned and on my must make list. Thank you for sharing Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Thank you so much, Mary Frances! I hope you like it πŸ˜€

• Reply Kelly November 18, 2013 at 9:15 pm

This looks awesome! I love that the sauce is loaded with so many veggies, it sounds so fresh and flavorful! Gorgeous photos too, pinning – makes me just want to grab a fork full of spaghetti noodles right from the screen – yum :)

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Awwh, thank you so much, Kelly πŸ˜€

• Reply Ashley November 18, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I love spaghetti and meatballs! Such a great comfort food especially when the weather is colder! Great spin to make them lighter – I need to give these a try! Happy Monday Consuelo!

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Thank you so much, Ashley! Happy Monday to you too πŸ˜€

• Reply Melanie @ Carmel Moments November 18, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Looks like the perfect Monday meal! Chicken for the meatballs sounds lovely.

• Reply Consuelo November 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

• Reply Claire @ The Black Cat Kitchen November 18, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Well just back from London and looking for some seriously low fat food for the next few weeks as eaten faaaaar too much! It’s like you’ve read my mind! Love the idea of using aubergine in the sauce – bet it gives it real depth! Adding this to my low fat menu for the week right now

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm

The aubergine makes it so flavourful indeed! Thank you so much, Claire! I’m really happy you like it :)

• Reply Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen November 18, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Love all the veggies you added to the sauce! And roasted garlic? Yes please!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Thanks Christin! πŸ˜€

• Reply vanillasugarblog November 19, 2013 at 12:38 am

Oh you are funny!
    I had to (and sometimes still do) google brioche in order to spell it right!
    This sauce is heavenly–great job!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Hahaha thank you so much, dear! :)

• Reply Allie | Baking a Moment November 19, 2013 at 12:59 am

Your photos look gorgeous! And I think I could eat this spaghetti and meatballs every day for the rest of my life, and die a happy woman! Pasta is my favorite πŸ˜‰

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Awwh, thank yuo so much Allie :-*

• Reply shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com November 19, 2013 at 1:20 am

Consuelo – I love your version of spaghetti and chicken-meatballs! I love the addition of eggplant and zucchini in your sauce! I think I could eat the chicken balls and sauce and be happy :)

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm

That’s so me! Who needs spaghetti anyway? Thank you :)

• Reply Juliana November 19, 2013 at 1:44 am

This pasta looks so good…and yes, I love the idea of chicken meatballs…you have everything that you need in a meal in this pasta dish…yum!
    Thanks for the recipe Consuelo and have a wonderful week πŸ˜€

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Aw thank you so much Juliana! You too have a great week πŸ˜€

• Reply Monica November 19, 2013 at 2:19 am

You are so smart, Consuelo – saving calories on dinner equals more room for Christmas cookies! I love the way you think! : ) And spaghetti and meatball is such a favorite around here. I love the chicken version. Yum!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm

And more Christmas cookies equals a happy me haha :) Thanks Monica, I’m so happy you like it!

• Reply caileejoy November 19, 2013 at 2:32 am

Wow!! This looks delicious! Warm and comforting… perfect for this time of year! And I love that you made them ‘Skinny’ :) Great idea!!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm

• Reply Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen November 19, 2013 at 3:11 am

Oh my gosh Consuelo – these look AMAZING! Spaghetti is one of our very favorite comfort foods – and it’s always our go-to recipe when we are starving and need to feel comforted. This is a great twist on what we usually make – and I’d love to try it! And girl, how in the world do you get these amazing photos? I can barely take the picture before I’m devouring it – no staging for me – girl I’m hungry! LOL

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm

These are so comforting indeed! I’m so glad you like them yay!
      Actually, I made the dish and photographed it right after having breakfast so I wasn’t hungry, and I had them reheated for lunch, which makes them even better! Awwh, thank you so much, your comments make my day πŸ˜€

• Reply Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor November 19, 2013 at 3:57 am

I wish I wasn’t hungry right now because this looks amazing! I love the classic spaghetti and meatballs dish and love how you added veggies to the sauce.

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Awwh thank you so mcuh Ashley! πŸ˜€

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Awwh thank you so mcuh Ashley! :)

• Reply Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron November 19, 2013 at 4:49 am

I need a plate of this, it sounds so yummy! Happy Birthday to your mom!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Thank you Ruby! πŸ˜€

• Reply anecdotesandapples November 19, 2013 at 5:15 am

You can never go wrong with a big plate of pasta! Thank you for sharing this. It looks so very good!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Aw, thank you so much Monet! x

• Reply Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry November 19, 2013 at 6:04 am

Such pretty pictures of this delicious looking dish! Personally, I am a huge fan of meatballs whether they are skinny or not.

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I love them all too πŸ˜‰ Thank you!

• Reply Anne ~ Uni Homemaker November 19, 2013 at 7:50 am

These look awesome Consuelo! Love that it’s skinny so I won’t feel so guilty about having seconds. Lovely post my friend!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Aw, thank you so much Anne! :)

• Reply Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl November 19, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Your photos look great – I want this for dinner tonight!
    And I totally know what you mean by going off the editorial calendar, sometimes I can’t wait!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:56 pm

These were so worth going off the calendar πŸ˜‰ Thanks!

• Reply Tahnycooks November 19, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Roasted garlic does make everything taste 1000000x’s better! I have been craving spaghetti lately, this fits the bill perfectly! Fantastic, and your pictures are stunning!

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Aww thank you so much Tahny! Have a nice day c:

• Reply Cindy November 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Consuleo, this sauce sounds amazing! I love that you added zucchini and eggplant. Plus, you just can’t beat the delicious flavor of roasted garlic. I can’t wait to give this a try.

• Reply Consuelo November 19, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Thank you Cindy! Let me know how you like them πŸ˜€

• Reply makingthymeforhealth November 20, 2013 at 12:05 am

I love it when a meal gets you that excited that you can’t wait to post it!
    Spaghetti is such classic comfort food. Your sauce sounds amazing!!

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 12:23 am

Thank you so much, Tiffany! I’m so happy you like them πŸ˜€

• Reply Erin | The Law Student's Wife November 20, 2013 at 12:32 am

TOTALLY worth breaking your post schedule. There’s so much love in this dish. I love your photo background board too. Beautiful!

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 12:33 am

Aw, thank you so much, Erin! I’m glad you like it :–)

• Reply Sugar and Cinnamon November 20, 2013 at 1:29 am

Oh my gosh this looks incredible! Wholewheat pasta is actually so yummy! I’m going to try and make a vegetarian version of this after seeing these photos. Yum!

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm

A vegetarian version sounds lovely! Let me know how it goes! πŸ˜€ And thanks!

• Reply Ashley - Baker by Nature November 20, 2013 at 1:50 am

Are you kidding me with this gorgeous meal!? GAH!!! I need it.

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm

haha thank you Ashley! :)

• Reply Amy (Savory Moments) November 20, 2013 at 2:40 am

What a beautiful meal this is! Spaghetti and meatballs is one of my favorite classic comfort dishes an this version really looks wonderful!

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thank you so much, Amy! :)

• Reply Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 20, 2013 at 3:46 am

LOVE all the wholesome ingredients in this recipe. And eggplant in sauce must taste divine :)

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm

It does πŸ˜‰ Thank you!

• Reply Joanne November 20, 2013 at 12:58 pm

This is comfort food to the max! I love how you’ve skinny-ed it up!

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Thanks Joanne πŸ˜€

• Reply thecupcakeconfession November 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm

OMG Consuelo! This plate of spaghetti looks PICTURE PERFECT! What beautiful ingredients and flavors! And its HEALTHY!!!!!! What more can anyone really ask for? :)

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Thanks Samina! I’m so happy you like it πŸ˜€

• Reply Yeste Lima November 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Ay, Consuelo, esta vez….. No me hace mucha gracia la pasta, mira tΓΊ.

Besos apretaos.

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Jajaja ya somos dos, yo soy de las que se come las albΓ³ndigas y la salsa y se deja los espaghettis… O los sustituyo for tiras de calabacΓ­n.
      Aunque he de decir que esta vez me han gustado mucho, mucho.
      Pwero tengo preparada una receta que espero que te guste muuuuuucho.
      Besos πŸ˜€

• Reply Rachel @ Bakerita November 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm

You had me at spaghetti (you’re right, totally weird to write), and again at chicken meatballs, and then I was all in at roasted garlic. YUMMMM. Definitely making this ASAP. I do love me some spaghetti and meatballs.

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 10:19 pm

• Reply shannonroche November 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I have a confession to make. I have never made spaghetti sauce from scratch before. Growing up in a house where canned sauce was contraband, I just sort of crave it now that I am an adult. But I really need to give the homemade a shot.

• Reply Consuelo November 20, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Haven’t you? I hope you give it a go and love it ;—)

• Reply Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner November 21, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Have you ever watched Giada on the Foodnetwork? Everytime I hear or say “Spaghetti” I think of her saying it in her Italian accent. Lol.
    I love how you made the meatballs with ground chicken! Very cool way to enjoy the dish with a lower fat content…I’ll need this after the Thanksgiving day holiday!

• Reply Consuelo November 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Nope, we don’t get FoodNetwork in Spain :(
      Thank you so much, I hope you like them! x

• Reply #HealthRecipe / Skinny Spaghetti & Meatball... November 24, 2013 at 1:40 am

[…] INGREDIENTS:For the sauce:900 grams (2 Ib.) tomatoes2 red bell peppers1 medium zucchini1 small eggplant1 onion1 head of garlic50 grams parmesansalt and pepper to tasteextra virgin olive oil for the panFor the meatballs:600 grams ground chicken breasts50 grams whole wheat breadcrumbs1 onion2 cloves of garlic1 handful of parsley1 egga drizzle of olive oil3/4 tsp. salta dash of black pepperTo serve:300 grams dry spaghetti (cooked)fresh basilextra shredded parmesanDIRECTIONS: http://honeyandfigskitchen.com/2013/11/skinny-spaghetti-meatballs.html  […]

• Reply Aimee / Wallflower Girl November 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Haha I do both those things (posting a recipe earlier than scheduled because I’m excited about it and googling words to check spelling) oh man I just love Italian food, this sounds like my ideal dinner!

• Reply Consuelo December 28, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Thanks Aimee! xx

• Reply Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens November 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Happy belated birthday to your mum, Consuelo! I hope she had a wonderful day! I’m really excited to try your meatballs – it’s so true that chicken or turkey meatballs can sometimes become dry and tough, but these look just delicious! And the sauce with all those veggies? Double-yum! Hey – and about recipe plug-ins: on THK, Gretchen and I simultaneously run Easy Recipe and ZipList. They both offer slightly different functionality, so the combination is really the perfect solution. It takes a couple of very easy tweaks to get them to play nicely together, but we’ve had that combo working since we launched back in May, and we’re thrilled with it!

• Reply Consuelo November 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm

She did and she says thank you!!
      Yay, I hope you like them!! Ok, I’ll try those plug-ins thanks for the suggestion πŸ˜‰

• Reply Ground Pork Cannelloni | honey & figs December 26, 2013 at 10:55 am

[…] to share my ideas with you all! Up until the date, I’ve skinnified some classics, such as Spaghetti and Meatballs, Mac & Cheese, Nutella, Cinnamon Rolls and Shepherds Pie among others… and they were all […]

• Reply 20 Skinny Recipes - Stumbling upon Happiness March 15, 2014 at 9:15 pm