Welcome all to Makeover Mondays! From now on, I’ll try to healthify all of my favorite unhealthy dishes, while keeping them delicious, of course! I think we all going to need lighter dishes after our crazy cookie and truffle consumption, aren’t we?
Good news is that we won’t have to spend January eating just boring salads. With these Makeover series, I’m hoping to give delicious food a healthier twist. This way, it’s possible to get back on track while still enjoying food other than greens!
(((((For the record guys, I love my greens. It’s just that I don’t want to feel like a rabbit most of the time ok)))))
I hope you enjoy these series as much as I’m loving to develop, write, shoot and eat these recipes!
Now, let’s move onto the food. The sooner I tell you about it, the better, because you should go make this for dinner as soon as possible. I’m not kidding, guys. You need to pop these babies in the oven pronto. Go! Go! Go!
I mean, who wouldn’t want these for dinner? It’s tender chicken breasts stuffed with ham and gooey cheese, and then rolled in breadcrumbs and topped with parmesan. All of it made in under an hour… Two words: dinner nirvana.
Thanks to the fact that I baked them instead of frying them, this dish is much lower in fat (which obviously allows you to grab another cookie, if you happen to be still craving them… I am). I also used low-fat cheese and whole grain bread crumbs instead of their unhealthier counterparts, but you wouldn’t tell the difference! My veggie-and-healthy-stuff hating brothers didn’t realize these were actually good for them. There was a big big fight over the last roll… and I’m not ashamed to confess that I was involved too.
((For the record #2: I won that battle and got to eat that last roll hehe. I’m finally seeing results from all that kick-boxing I’m doing lately))
Kidding, I didn’t punch them. Though I would have… but I didn’t need to. They both surrendered and kindly offered the last roll to me… Because they know that I’m the cookie boss here, and angry me equals no cookies for them.
Man, I just re-read that last paragraph and it makes me look so evil.
I’m not. Oh well, I might be, but only when it concerns cookies and chicken cordon bleu rolls. Otherwise I’m quite a nice person…
I should go back to the recipe instead of talking of my evil self. Yeah, make these. They’re healthy, delicious and easy to prepare. And oh, hey, they look fancy too. What’s not to love about them?
- 10 oz. chicken breasts (that's 3 small breasts)
- 200 grams ham (12 slices)
- 150 grams light havarti cheese (6 slices)
- 3/4 cup wholewheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried garlic
- 1/8 tsp. dried chili
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 small egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 20 grams parmesan cheese
- Slice each chicken breast to get 4 thin fillets.
- Lighty pound each slice to make it thinner.
- Season each fillet with salt and pepper
- Place a slice of ham on each fillet, followed by half an slice of cheese.
- Roll it tighlty and place in a baking tray, seam side down.
- Whisk egg, egg white and milk in a bowl.
- Whisk breadcrumbs and spices in a different bowl.
- Dip each roll in the egg mixture, then toss it in the breadcrumbs bowl.
- Place roll back in the baking tray.
- Repeat those steps which each roll.
- Sprinkle some parmesan on top of the rolls.
- Bake at 250ºC (450F) for 20-25 minutes or until rolls are golden and cheese is oozing out.
- You can use your favorite light cheese.
- You can skip those 2tbsp. oof parmesan and drizzle rolls with olive oil instead.
- Don't mind the weighed amounts. I weighed my ingredients in order to make the calorie calculator work. The weight of the chicken, ham and cheese you're using doesn't matter.
I hope you guys enjoyed the post. I’ve got real big plans for this Monday Makeover Thingy, so stay tuned!
Now tell me: are you trying to get back on track after the massive cookie consumption? Or have you been eating healthily? Do you think you’ll like these series?
Have a lovely week,