List of good things that have happened to me today:
- This mousse
The rest of my Friday has been all homework and stuff. And yes, by “stuff” I mean “more homework”, but hey what’s new. It’s my last year in school before I go to university and there’s like a month left until the ultimate deathly finals season arrives. It’s all downhill from here now, so you might not see me around here as often as you’re used to.
Don’t be surprised if from now on I’m just posting shamefully quick and easy recipes. And I mean recipes that so easy that it’ll actually make you question whether it should be called a recipe or not, like this mousse.
3 Ingredients + 5 Minutes = healthy chocolaty bliss in a bowl.
I honestly don’t know how come I haven’t posted this recipe before. It’s safe to say that I’ve made this +100 times and I’m not exaggerating here at all.
This mousse is awesome guys. Real awesome. When you try it you might get why I feel like my day is not complete if I don’t have this stuff after my workouts.
Why wouldn’t I, though? This deceptively decadent mousse is actually good for you. With 14 grams protein per small serving and virtually no fat and sugar, this is something you could eat everyday.
Now, I do encourage you to stir in some kind of healthy fat such as coconut oil or peanut butter if you’re having it after a tough workout. And same with sugar – your muscles do need some of the stuff to recover after all that stress you’ve been putting them trough. But to each his own, use what you prefer here. It will tastes amazing if you’re going the fat/sugar free route anyway.
The mousse alone, without sugar and fats, clocks at about 100 kcals per serving pictured. Yes, I got rid of that recipe calculator thing. Life isn’t about counting calories and anyway, that widgets is quite dumb and I suspected it never got the info right – au revouir widget!
By the way. Despite its name, this stuff doesn’t taste like the cream/yolks/sugar concoction we’re all know by the name of “mousse”. Mainly, because there is no cream in sight, you know.
But oh boy does it taste nice! It is like chocolate velvet, which is technically not cream *sighs because I love cream*, but it’s super delish on its own way too – I think we’d all agree here, right? And texture-wise, you won’t notice a thing, because this mousse is beyond creamy and smooth. Especially if you do let it sit in the fridge overnight, because it gets all airy like real mousse.
Now that’s what I call awesomeness.
- 500 grams fat free quark cheese
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- liquid stevia (or sweetener of choice), to taste
- Stir all of the ingredients in a bowl until creamy.
- Eat right away or let it chill in the fridge for a couple of hours - it is much much better that way. Though it's also delicious if you eat it right after making it.
- You can also add some coffee granules, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, coconut, peanut butter, etc... to favor it. Let your imagination run wild!
- My favorite sweeteners here are sugar and stevia. From my point of view, honey and mape syrup don't taste great here. You might give them a go if you want though!
- Technically, thick greek yogurt works here, but it makes this taste like chocolate greek yogurt. It's nice, but nowhere near as good as the quark version, so I recommend you do try to find it!
I hope you enjoy your weekend! It’s going to be all cloudy and rainy where I live, so that way I won’t feel as bad when I have to spend the whole day sitting at home studying… But you know, some warmer weather would be nice…
How about you? Are you getting spring-like weather? And what’s your favorite post-workout treat? I need new ideas, because I’m making my local store running out of quark cheese. Sorry if you live around my area and haven’t been able to get your hands on some quark cheese for a while, by the way.