They say that humans are 60% water but I’m pretty sure it comes round to 60% lentils when it’s about me. Legumes all day errrrrrr day is all you need to make this girl happy. Sure, some concert tickets and hot tea might help as well, but give me the lentils and I’m set.
((((But those concert tickets won’t hurt either)))))
You see, for a person whose diet is almost entirely made up for legumes, I surely don’t post much about them. Why is that?
Some may say that it’s because lentils, chunky stews and the like are the ugliest peeps in the block and I’d rather spend my time shooting some triple chocolate raw cheesecake instead. Don’t blame, those raw cheesecakes are like the goodess of pretty desserts, aren’t they?
Then there’s the fact that I like having my stews hot and steaming from the pot, so having to spend time setting up a scene and taking pictures of the food while my stew goes cold as my hungry soul is out of the question 99% of the time. The remaining 1% involves those times where my stew is so good I could go to prision weren’t I to share it (yep, it’s that good)
Anyhoo, the moment I tried this stew I knew it had to appear on the blog. Not only is it delicious, but hearty and comforting as well. I don’t know about you but I’m not a fan of all of these detox diets popping everywhere after the holidays. Did you eat a ton of cookies during the festivities? Great for you, cookies are awesome! (not so great that you didn’t think about sending me some, but I’ll forgive you this time). Thing is, now it’s not the time to spend the following weeks drinking nothing but juice and eating nothing but leaves.
Eat more plants, drink more water and get some more sleep – that’s it! That’s the easy, sustainable way to get back to feeling your best after a period of crazy (but surely delicious eating!). Please, don’t fall into the trap of eating less, cutting out nutrients from your diet or exercise like a maniac. If you can’t see yourself doing it in 10-20 years time, that surely isn’t sustainable and won’t get you long-term results.
An easy and delicious way to get back on track would be to make a meal out of this kind of stew. It’s hearty, filling and jam-packed with plant-protein and iron for those of you struggling to meet your daily requirements in a vegetarian/vegan diet. Add a piece or two of vitamin C rich fruit (citruses taste great this time of the year!) to ensure a better absorption of iron and you’re golden.
Now, make sure you get some more sleep (I get you, it’s so nice to stay up late watching Netflix but your body will love you and throw a party in your name if you give it some early nights), cut down on alcohol (yep, beer is nice but how cool is it to wake up feeling fresh and vibrant??) and get some light exercise everyday (biking and walking: such a winner combo!).
BOOM! You’re back on track! A track which is super easy to walk and mantain through the years. No starvation, no crazy exercise regimes and no madness. Who’s in?
- 7 cups (1700 ml.) vegetable stock
- 1 cup (200 grams) lentils
- 1/2 cup (85 grams) quinoa
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 zucchini
- 3 cups (150 grams) chopped chard
- 2 very ripe tomatoes
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- a handful of fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the lentils overnight (unless you're using those really small ones, then it's not necessary).
- Chop all the vegetables into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the diced vegetables when it's warm.
- Sautee on medium for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft and fragant.
- Add stock and spices and stir to combine.
- Add in the lentils and let mixture simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the quinoa and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Let mixture simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove lid and keep simmering on low until the stew has thickened and both lentils and quinoa are soft.
- Add more salt if neccesary and enjoy!
Have a lovely day!