They say that money can’t buy happiness but it can buy lentils and that’s kinda the same thing. And thankfully, unlike Topshop embroidered sateen boots, lentils are actually affordable. Sure, not quite as astonishing (those boots OH MY GOD) or embelished with pretty roses and leaves… but they’re tasty. Those boots though? TASTIER.
In other words, I’m now 76€ poorer than I was yesterday.
Please, don’t let my mum find out about that. Can you believe she said my boots were ugly?
ANYWAY. Let’s get back to these lentils which, for the record, are all I’m going to be eating for like the next few years because they’re cheap as it gets… so they pair well with my obsession with shoes and concert tickets.
Also, creamy spiced lentils in a coconut curry pumpkin sauce? Taken up a notch with chilli? Helloooooo???? How much better can it get??? Hint: it doesn’t. Unless you add some brown rice, fresh vegetables and maybe some cilantro. Then yeah, it gets better. So much better. Life is beautiful, people!!!!!
And, if you’re in the mood to hear more great things about this lentil dhal… let me go on.
1) It’s quick to make! (Busy students around the world, rejoice!). And easy to, actually. All that you need to do is boil some lentils and sautee them in a pan with spices (that good ol’ curry spice jar will do), roasted pumpkin, chilli flakes (the more the merrier… unless you drop the whole container in the pan… then I’m sorry I’m breaking it to you but your mouth isn’t going to be merry) and some Ecomil coconut cream (which you’ll love if you like me HATE opening coconut milk cans).
2) Plus leftovers taste even better than the real deal!!! Which means you can get like 4 lunches for the effort that it takes to make one!!!!! AY YES.
3) You know it’s going to look all fancy in your Instagram… I mean, do you really not want to make all your pals jealous?
4) It feels like your eating takeout only it’s cheaper and so much healthier!! Perfect food to cozy up under a blanket with while you watch your favourite TV show. NETFLIX AND CHILL(I) PEOPLE!!!!
5) Because, yeah, it’s not that I want to brag, but this is truly perfect autumn comfort food.
(And I know you want it)
- 300 grams red lentils, dry
- enough water to boil them
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion
- 200 grams roasted pumpkin
- 350 grams coconut cream
- 1 tbsp. mild curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. chilli powder
- Start by boiling the lentils for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Chop the onion into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil until warm and sautee the onion until golden.
- Add in the roasted pumpkin and lentils.
- Sautee until mix is golden.
- Add coconut cream and spices and simmer on low for 15 minutes or until fragant.
- Serve with brown rice, fresh vegetables, scallions or cilantro, etc...
- I use Ecomil coconut cream, which is lighter than regular coconut cream but creamier than milk. You'll find a link to buy it on the post!
Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do!